Installing Centos 6.5 on Windows Vista PC with NVIDIA graphics card

General support questions
NickWUK

Installing Centos 6.5 on Windows Vista PC with NVIDIA graphics card

Post by NickWUK » 2017/05/20 13:50:44

I'm trying to install Centos 6.5 from CD as a dual boot on an old Acer Aspire PC with Windows Vista and an NVIDIA graphics card, but error message display during the setup. The errors refer to 'nouveau' and 'failed to idle channel'. From searching the web I believe I need to first install an NVIDIA driver, but how do I do that during the install?

I tried the boot with basic video option which loads GNome and shows an option to install the hard drive, but is that going give the same errors until the install references the NVIDIA drivers? Also the mouse and keyboard don't seem to work in Gnome.

Can the install be set to use basic video?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Installing Centos 6.5 on Windows Vista PC with NVIDIA graphics card

Post by TrevorH » 2017/05/20 15:47:23

Well the first thing is don't install 6.5. It's more than 3 years old and riddled with high severity security vulnerabilities. It should NOT be used. The current CentOS 6 is 6.9 and is the only one that should be in use.

If you get an option to install to the hard drive then it doesn't sound like you're using the installation DVD, that sounds like the "Live" CD which is not intended to be used for installation, It's meant to be a "here, boot this and see if it works" or "boot this and fix what you broke" CD.

So, download the 6.9 DVD1, boot that, try the install as-is and see if whatever was wrong before has been fixed in the last 3.5 years since 6.5 was released and if it still doesn't work, use the plain VGA option from that to perform the install. Once you're installed then look at ELRepo for the right kmod-nvidia to use for your graphics card and install that.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke