Firstboot and Network Setup

General support questions
dprofi2017

Firstboot and Network Setup

Post by dprofi2017 » 2017/06/13 18:53:25

I have a Centos images that I'm maintain to run in a virtual environment. The images are all based on Centos 6.7 minimal x64 which have been updated to 6.9 using the normal yum process.

I keep the system updated monthly creating a new "golden image" which I download and share to our branch offices as necessary. When they deploy the OVA and power on the VM it will run through the firstboot setup where they can configure the networking interface, hostname, DNS, etc.

It used to be that when they "saved and quit" out of the setup the networking service would take the changes and start the network service to properly configure the network address. What I'm finding now is that's not happening anymore, the adapter is getting a DHCP address before the network setup is occurring.

The local admins deploying the VM don't have access to the CLI to restart them properly and powering off the VM without a graceful shutdown sometimes causes issues.

My questions, is there a way to have the networking service start after the firstboot configuration is completed?

I have a script that I run on the system which cleans up the networking and then it turns on firstboot with "chkconfig firstboot on" prior to shuting down the system for creation of the image.

Thanks for your help!!

dprofi2017

Re: Firstboot and Network Setup

Post by dprofi2017 » 2017/07/11 21:26:57

Figured this one out by the way.

I added "service network restart" to the /etc/rc.local file.

So when firstboot setup runs it the network service is restarted after the users exits from the setup menu which ensure the network configuration changes are activated without having to restart since the user doesn't have console access to the system to reboot the system.