Ran yum update -y on my machine then rebooted; It now kernel panics on every kernel I can choose

General support questions
valkaben

Ran yum update -y on my machine then rebooted; It now kernel panics on every kernel I can choose

Post by valkaben » 2017/07/06 00:22:53

Hi all,

I ran yum update -y on my machine at first and everything seemed fine until I rebooted the damn thing. Now every kernel that I choose is leading into a kernel panic.

Here's the screen I get when I attempt to run two different kernels:

http://imgur.com/a/brMD3

I tried sticking a USB with CentOS 6.9 and it also ran into a kernel panic. I'm not sure if that's because it's a bad stick or not. I believe that stick worked before but it's running into a kernel panic too.

Any ideas what I should do?

mghe

Re: Ran yum update -y on my machine then rebooted; It now kernel panics on every kernel I can choose

Post by mghe » 2017/07/06 03:39:58

Try to boot with stock kernel.

tunk

Re: Ran yum update -y on my machine then rebooted; It now kernel panics on every kernel I can choose

Post by tunk » 2017/07/06 13:07:23

Hardware problem?
Could you try to boot with a CentOS 7 and e.g. ubuntu memory stick. If both crashes it could indicate a hardware problem.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/07/06 13:15:51

I didn't notice the 2nd screenshot until now. The first one looks suspiciously like the sort of crash you get when it cannot find the initramrfs file for that kernel or the root partition is missing and cannot be mounted. The second one is completely different and I have no idea what that one is. Are you sure you booted the previously working one? If you yum update regularly and didn't reboot after a new kernel was installed then you might have installed but untested kernels in the list but since yum never removes the running kernel, you should still have that one installed and available to try.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

CaViCcHi

Post by CaViCcHi » 2017/07/11 20:30:52

do you have any idea at what step during boot your kernel is panicking? the first one looks "post bios" and the other one... "post first one" ?

if this really happened moving on with kernels, I suggest you grab an earlier iso, maybe 6.8 with 2.6.32-642.6.2 and run the test again.

it would be pretty wow to see a newer kernel fail on hardware... but I've only seen those non tainted panics associated with hardware issues... but who knows :)

anyway if it's a hardware problem not even the dvd will install... (so if the dvd installs... there's another problem)