[SOLVED] Mystery of Mounting a Synology partition via UUID not working

General support questions
rogiedodgie

[SOLVED] Mystery of Mounting a Synology partition via UUID not working

Post by rogiedodgie » 2017/08/25 17:18:47

Dear all,

I have an issue with my CentOS Data Server mounting a Synology Partition via its UUID, and was hoping for some suggestions from any digital sleuths out there.

So, I have a computer set up running CentOS 6.7. In it, I had a beautiful /home directory containing subfolders for all my users. The /home folder was, and I stress was, because it is no longer able to mount, actually mounted at startup. My fstab has the following entries:

UUID = XXX /boot ext4 defaults 1 1
UUID = XXX /home ext4 defaults, _netdev 0 0

The problem is that the disk (as identified by its UUID) is no longer mounting to /home on startup.

When i run mount -a, i get the dreaded:

mount: special device UUID - XXX does not exist

I know this UUID points to something that exists, because I have another computer in my lab that shows a disk icon on the desktop, and UUID-XXX - File Browser at the top of the window when I click on it and open it. All the home directory contents are there and accessible from this computer.

I just can't figure out why it is not being seen by my data server as it was in the past.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated,

Best,

Roger
Last edited by rogiedodgie on 2017/08/30 13:23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Whoever

Re: Mystery of Mounting a Device via UUID

Post by Whoever » 2017/08/26 02:42:45

rogiedodgie wrote:Dear all,

I have an issue with my CentOS Data Server mounting a Synology Partition via its UUID, and was hoping for some suggestions from any digital sleuths out there.

So, I have a computer set up running CentOS 6.7. In it, I had a beautiful /home directory containing subfolders for all my users. The /home folder was, and I stress was, because it is no longer able to mount, actually mounted at startup. My fstab has the following entries:

UUID = XXX /boot ext4 defaults 1 1
UUID = XXX /home ext4 defaults, _netdev 0 0

The problem is that the disk (as identified by its UUID) is no longer mounting to /home on startup.

When i run mount -a, i get the dreaded:

mount: special device UUID - XXX does not exist

I know this UUID points to something that exists, because I have another computer in my lab that shows a disk icon on the desktop, and UUID-XXX - File Browser at the top of the window when I click on it and open it. All the home directory contents are there and accessible from this computer.

I just can't figure out why it is not being seen by my data server as it was in the past.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated,

Best,

Roger
Try removing the spaces:

Code: Select all

UUID=XXX /boot                     ext4 defaults 1 1 
UUID=XXX /home                    ext4 defaults, _netdev 0 0 

rogiedodgie

Post by rogiedodgie » 2017/08/27 13:47:05

Thank you for your suggestion.
I tried removing all of the spaces as you suggested, and it still didn't mount the drives.
Any other thoughts?
Best,
Roger

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/08/27 14:20:35

Run blkid to find out what UUID the filesystem does have and amend fstab to match. The uuid really should not change unless you reformat the filesystem or run a filesystem utility (like tune2fs) to set it to a new value.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

tunk

Post by tunk » 2017/08/28 10:56:03

Excuse my ignorance: How is the server connected to the Synology? And what is a "Synology Partition"?

rogiedodgie

Post by rogiedodgie » 2017/08/28 12:28:06

TrevorH wrote:Run blkid to find out what UUID the filesystem does have and amend fstab to match. The uuid really should not change unless you reformat the filesystem or run a filesystem utility (like tune2fs) to set it to a new value.
Would a Consistency Check change the UUID? I did run one after the crash and loss of the /home directory?

Roger

rogiedodgie

Post by rogiedodgie » 2017/08/28 12:29:15

tunk wrote:Excuse my ignorance: How is the server connected to the Synology? And what is a "Synology Partition"?
We have a Synology Diskstation. It is a network attached storage (NAS) device. We access it through the local network via Ethernet cables.
https://www.synology.com/en-us

Best,

Roger

tunk

Post by tunk » 2017/08/28 13:34:20

I was more thinking about if you're using NFS, samba, iSCSI or something else.

rogiedodgie

Post by rogiedodgie » 2017/08/30 13:22:56

Ok, we solved this problem.

Apparently there was a checkbox that in the Synology WebApp (under iSCSI LUN --> Edit --> Advanced) that allowed us to 'enable multiple sessions from one or more iSCSI initiators'. Once we turned this on (it was on for our other partitions as well), we were able to mount our Synology NAS partition as our /home directory on our Centos based server.

While we are not sure how or why this was changed, everything appears to be working again!

Roger