can't boot after yum update -y cento6.9

General support questions
chankim

Re: can't boot after yum update -y cento6.9

Post by chankim » 2018/04/09 10:25:41

I removed nvidia-x11-drv-352.63 and removed nvidiai-x11-drv-390.48 , nvidia-detect-390.48, kmod-nvidia-390.48. (leaving only nvidia driver 390.39)
and am trying to install nvidia driver 390.48 with .run file because cuda toolkit 9.1 on centos 6 requires that driver version.
But while running the .run file I met with this
'You appear to be running an X server: please exit X before installing. For further details, ..'
message. I have met this situtation before and solved it maybe at least twice but this time I cannot solve it.
I tried 'init 3' and changed /etc/inittab file's line to 'id:3:initdefault:' and also tried putting 3 at the end of 'kernel' line in grub config.
I treid stopping lightdm or gdm but I don't seem to be using it.
I realized vnc session is on, so killed all the vnc session processes. (using ps eax | grep vnc, killed two Xvnc pids, and two vncconfig pids)
Then I could run the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.48.run file and met with an error. It's an error during conftest (seeing /var/logs/nvicida-installer.log)
The first one is #error kmem_cache_create() conftest failed!
and #erro on _each_cpu() conftest failed!
..and I think hundreds of such errors in conftest have been reported.
What can be the problem? I have CentOS install DVD ready but just trying to make CentOS6.9 bootable.
(I have a new questiong about CentOS 7 install using DVD, but will make a separate question)