Cyrillic appearing during installation

General support questions
cup

Cyrillic appearing during installation

Post by cup » 2018/09/05 18:37:00

I'm installing Centos 6 on an oldish machine - P3, 512Mb. It doesn't boot from USB and I'm out of DVDs. Only certain OSs will install on it: Windows up to XP, Ubuntu up to 12.10, SuSE up to 11.4, Centos up to 6. All other Linuxes end up with vertical coloured lines or white screens with reversed characters.

I had a 6.9 installation previously but the disk died so I got another PATA disk and decided to go for 6.10 since I couldn't find my 6.9 DVD.

I used a program called rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/ to write the ISO to a USB stick.
I then used a program called plop boot manager, which runs from floppy to load up the install from USB. So far so good. As it goes through the installation, bits of Cyrillic appear in the background. It doesn't seem to affect the installation but it appears like status messages.

Anyway, the installer copies stuff from the live CD to somewhere and then goes for a reboot and up comes a graphical install. When I click on "Install to Hard Drive", nothing happens. I don't really know how the installer works.

Is the Cyrillic is just a red herring? Has the installer has forgotten that it was installed from the USB stick and is now looking for a DVD.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Cyrillic appearing during installation

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/05 19:49:55

What iso file name did you download?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

cup

Post by cup » 2018/09/05 19:57:35

I downloaded

CentOS-6.10-i386-LiveDVD.iso

Anyway, my son said he had a spare DVD so I tried that - same problem: bits of Cyrillic in the first part, reboot and it gets as far as the graphical install and won't go any further.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/05 20:12:46

The "Live" media are not designed for installation. They're a sort of try-before-you-buy thing. You'll be much better off downloading and using the real installation media - either the full DVD or the minimal iso image.
Use the FAQ Luke

cup

Post by cup » 2018/09/05 21:14:04

Got the DVD1 image. Ran the install, it said that there wasn't enough memory for a graphical install. Went through all the motions but it ended up with a text based system instead of a graphical one. Guess that is a completely different problem.

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember not to use the live versions for Centos installs in future.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/09/05 22:24:14

You can probably do a vnc install instead though. That is if you have another machine to use to display vnc on. Just pass the word vnc over on the kernel command line and it'll tell you its own ip address and the port to connect to. Then you get to use the full installer as a GUI but on a different machine.
Use the FAQ Luke

cup

Post by cup » 2018/09/06 19:30:55

Never tried a VNC install on Linux before. I'll give it a try and let you know how I got on.