Trouble shooting RAM issues

General support questions
rapid3642

Trouble shooting RAM issues

Post by rapid3642 » 2018/10/15 07:28:03

Hello all, I am new to really managing a web server and recently have a VPS for a web server that is ordered through GoDaddy. I was on a shared plan with 512mb of ram and it worked perfectly, however, GoDaddy pretty much bullied us into getting a VPS after they found backups on the web server (we now know that is bad practice and no longer do that).

A long story short is that ever since being on the VPS we are running out of RAM every few hours and don't know why. We have WHM (with 1 Cpanel) and we are utilizing Cpanel email accounts, 37 email accounts on the 1 Cpanel account to be specific. So we upgraded to the 2gb VPS server and are still having issues with RAM being completely consumed. I am not very good on how to go about figuring out what is taking up all of the RAM and what I can do to fix this. I attached multiple screenshots of things I found for looking up server info and found it to be not consistent which is odd.

I would love to get someone who can help guide me in the direction of diagnosing this and figuring out what I can do to remedy this problem. I'm really excited to learn how to better troubleshoot these VPS servers! Thanks in advance for any help and time spent on this! Please let me know if you guys need anything else like specific logs.
Attachments
linux server mem full [terminal top with mem sort].jpg
linux server mem full [terminal top with mem sort].jpg (171.74 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
linux server mem full [terminal top with virt sort].jpg
linux server mem full [terminal top with virt sort].jpg (188.7 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
linux server mem full [server information].jpg
linux server mem full [server information].jpg (162.36 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

tunk

Re: Trouble shooting RAM issues

Post by tunk » 2018/10/16 12:18:33

I have no idea what your problem is, but you could try these commands to find out more:
free
ps aux --sort -rss|more

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/10/16 15:30:50

And you'll want to address your questions to cpanel. We cannot help here as cpanel changes so much about the system that any help we might offer might make things worse.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

rapid3642

Post by rapid3642 » 2018/10/22 22:22:43

Sorry guys I guess my original post was hard to follow. My issue is that I am trying to find out where all of my memory (RAM) is being used and what I can possibly due to limit whatever it is that is hogging the memory (RAM). The images in my original post are what the system was reporting, at the time of the server where the memory (RAM) was all used up.