boot-up inputing server output to login prompt

General support questions
ceosdask

boot-up inputing server output to login prompt

Post by ceosdask » 2019/02/04 17:10:39

This happens randomly, but it looks like the attached screenshot... it's like it's bringing up the login prompt before it's done dumping loading output.

I don't know how to explain or fix this, but it's happening on a few different servers.

I am running them in VMWare but I'm pretty sure that doesn't affect the output after the server is started, and it wouldn't have any control over what CentOS is doing (also I'm pretty sure their forum will just tell me to come here).
Attachments
CentOS 6 VMWare boot-up stdout to login prompt.png
CentOS 6 VMWare boot-up stdout to login prompt.png (17.73 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: boot-up inputing server output to login prompt

Post by avij » 2019/02/04 17:16:58

The current CentOS version is 6.10, and only that is supported. Try yum update as the first step.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: boot-up inputing server output to login prompt

Post by TrevorH » 2019/02/04 17:37:04

In any case, that's perfectly normal and affects nothing. Kernel messages are always sent to the console and often appear to overwrite the login prompt. However, if you just enter a username it will prompt for the password as normal. You can also just press enter and it will re-issue the login prompt so it's readable again.

Those are messages from the bluetooth stack. If you don't have any bluetooth devices I'm not sure why they would appear - perhaps vmware is emulating some BT hardware and that can be turned off if it's not required.

And as avij says, 6.6 is _way_ out of date and badly in need of updating. CentOS 6.6 is from late 2014 and was replaced by 6.7 in mid-2015 and 6.10 has been out since the middle of last year. There are numerous high severity security vulnerabilities present in all CentOS 6 versions prior to the very latest and you should run yum update to get up to date ASAP.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke