Location for YUM repo for Chromium

General support questions
SQA777

Location for YUM repo for Chromium

Post by SQA777 » 2019/11/28 04:15:49

I'm trying to install Chromium on my Centos 6.8.

I'm following instructions at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44855&p=192908

However, the YUM repo location that is given in the thread:

https://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/

...is inaccessible.

Right now, I can't install Chromium using YUM because YUM doesn't have the Chromium repo location.

Is there another YUM repo location (the URL) for Chromium that I can add to the /etc/yum.repos.d directory?

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Location for YUM repo for Chromium

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/28 11:19:31

I'm trying to install Chromium on my Centos 6.8.
You want to do web browsing on a machine that is 3 years out of date? I'm sure that's going to be secure!

You need to get your system up to date which is currently 6.10 plus all the fixes that have been released since 6.10 came out about a year ago. Run yum update.

I really doubt if you will find any copy of chromium for CentOS 6 that's even slightly recent. Too much development has gone on that requires API calls that just are not present in CentOS 6 - it is 9 years old! It only has 1 year of life left before it's dead completely.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
CentOS 5 has been EOL for nearly 3 years and should no longer be used for anything!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

SQA777

Post by SQA777 » 2019/11/29 17:52:41

It's not so much web browsing as setting up Selenium scripts.

I don't have a choice on the Centos 6.8 platform. I have to use different browsers on different platforms. We already have another VM that is Centos 7.1. But I have to test on various platforms and Centos 6.8 is one of them.

So getting back to my original question, can I get the current repo location for Chromium?

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2019/11/29 18:07:47

You cannot run ancient releases and expect to get support. The deal with CentOS is that it's built from the sources used to create RHEL. If you get a problem with it then the very first thing we will tell you is "update to $latest and try again". If you cannot do that then you're on your own.

Running a 3 year old copy of 6.8 is irresponsible. Running 7.1 that is 4.5 years old is even more so. Both have a shedload of unfixed security vulnerabilities that make you and your systems a danger to everyone else on the internet.

CentOS 6 itself is 9 years old. The packages in it date from 2010 so attempting to build any recent web browser on it is going to be almost impossible unless you have, say, the massive resources of Red Hat who spend time and energy producing firefox ESR builds that still work. You almost certainly will not find anyone anywhere that will be building recent chromium versions and if they were, they'd almost certainly require you to be on the latest version of the o.s.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
CentOS 5 has been EOL for nearly 3 years and should no longer be used for anything!
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

simon@bp

Post by simon@bp » 2019/11/30 16:50:50

TrevorH wrote:
2019/11/29 18:07:47
CentOS 6 itself is 9 years old. The packages in it date from 2010 so attempting to build any recent web browser on it is going to be almost impossible unless you have, say, the massive resources of Red Hat who spend time and energy producing firefox ESR builds that still work.
Depending on how functional you need the web browser to be it may be possible.

I have recently built Qt 5.13 on CentOS 6. My build included QtWebEngine, which is based on Chromium. However, a lot of the functionality was disabled in my build, such as any support for sound. The build environment needs newer versions of Python (2.7) and GCC, which are available in the SCL repos.

Return to “CentOS 6 - General Support”