Is it possible to determine which build flags were used on a pre-built RPM package?

General support questions
dutsnekcirf

Is it possible to determine which build flags were used on a pre-built RPM package?

Post by dutsnekcirf » 2020/08/12 14:13:22

I have been using the Quagga dynamic routing daemon on a CentOS 6 VM. I'd like to use a feature that is only accessible if the RPM was built with the --multipath=X flag. The RPM I'm using was already built and obtained from the CentOS repository.

Is there a way to find out if the RPM was built with this flag or do I have to build from source and supply that flag myself?

I downloaded the RPM source package and noticed that in the supplied spec file the multipath parameter is set to 64. So I could just build it myself if I need to.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to determine which build flags were used on a pre-built RPM package?

Post by TrevorH » 2020/08/12 15:30:03

If you downloaded the matching SRPM for the quagga package that's in the base repo, from vault.centos.org, then what's in that is what was used to build it. Some daemons will also spit out their compile flags on startup or if you ask it for version information.

Please note that CentOS 6 goes EOL in just under 4 months time so now is a good time to be planning to migrate that to a newer system based on a newer CentOS version. I see quagga is still in the base repo in CentOS 7 but is not in CentOS 8 at all. For CentOS 8 I see 'bird' is in EPEL so maybe that's an alternative? Ah, there's also 'frr' which says it's a fork of quagga and also there is openbgpd. I suspect frr is the better replacement since that's in the AppStream repo and supported as part of the distro. The alternatives are all from EPEL.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

dutsnekcirf

Re: Is it possible to determine which build flags were used on a pre-built RPM package?

Post by dutsnekcirf » 2020/08/12 16:26:07

Trevorh,

Thanks for your response. That answers my question. Now I just need to figure out how to make use of the multipath feature of Quagga.

And yes, we're well aware that CentOS 6 is nearly dead. We're already well into our migration to CentOS 7; with the expectation to migrate to CentOS 8 in the near future. Switching to CentOS 7 has been a painful process from a networking perspective. It's taken us some time to get used to the new interface naming scheme and to adjust all of our scripts that we'd written in CentOS 6 to use the new interface names.

My understanding is that FRR is going to be the standard replacement for Quagga in RHEL 8. At least according to this article: https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... networking

I'm actually looking forward to switching to FRR. It appears to be a much more feature complete package than Quagga. It also appears to already have multipath features I'm looking for.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/08/12 17:06:59

It's taken us some time to get used to the new interface naming scheme and to adjust all of our scripts that we'd written in CentOS 6 to use the new interface names.
Well... you could have turned off the new naming and reverted to the old scheme but I suspect that's a bit late now :-(
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke