Package Group Selection

General support questions
scruggsdl

Package Group Selection

Post by scruggsdl » 2011/07/12 11:09:07

Good morning everyone,

I hope people don't mind me asking for a more opinion based question. What would one recommend as the best package group selection to choose or start customization from if you were going to make a home server? Samba, DNS, DHCP, Practicing KVMs for exams?

Respectfully

Dan

grifs71

Package Group Selection

Post by grifs71 » 2011/07/14 00:46:43

Go to Amazon and search for RHCE 6 it is now out, I just ordered mine about a week or 2 ago. I used the RHCE 5 book about 2 years ago when I had to get my certification since it was a requirement at work in my position.

Go to Red Hat examine the requirements, print/write them out and do the labs from the book.

I made my own study guide, it helped me a lot especially at work since I build new VM's and sometimes I have to go back to the book for reference.

The book will also have all of the packages needed for the service, I think I spent 2-3 hours a night for a few months so when I was sent to the RH300 week long class it was a reinforcement and I felt confident on test day.

Doing the labs, installing the services, breaking the machine, loading it in different configs. Practice, practice, practice.

Michael Jang has an awesome book!

:-)

scruggsdl

Re: Package Group Selection

Post by scruggsdl » 2011/07/15 02:32:32

Hey! Thanks very much for the informative reply! I got myself the same book, unfortunately I've been working on my Bachelors of Science and full time work at the same time... marriage, baby. I haven't gotten much lab time, but man do I want to. I'm trying!