How to update an existing installation from v5 to v6?

General support questions
scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: How to update an existing installation from v5 to v6?

Post by scottro » 2011/07/21 16:44:38

My own experience with preupgrade wasn't as good as yours. Also, judging from the Fedora Forums, it seems (VERY subjective impression) split about 50/50, but of course, those with smooth preupgrades may not have even mentioned it.

At this point, I still don't quite trust it, but am fortunate enough to have two drives in my main Fedora machine, so I put one on when it hits beta, and switch back to the old if necessary.

pstein

Post by pstein » 2011/07/23 10:12:21

Thank you for the comments.

Unfortunately it is very sad that a major upgrade seems to be not possible.
Ubuntu for example offers such an upgrade.

I have done a lot of adjustments, from simple config files like .bash over user setups/autorizations to application+GUI settings.
It will cost me a couple of days to remember, identify and re-adjust all them in a new environment.

I would be satisfied if I could save at least not all but as much as possible of these settings.

This is not a very efficient approach.

Anyway thank you for your confirmations and ideas.

Peter

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/23 13:23:21

Not possible is a bit strong. See [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=32311&forum=55]Issues when moving from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0 on the desktop[/url] and [url=http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide/MigratingFiveToSix]Migration from CentOS-5 to CentOS-6 - DRAFT Under Review[/url]. Not recommended or supported is definitely still my opinion, and the party line.

Return to “CentOS 6 - General Support”