Cent 6 asking for Login on first boot

General support questions
nelly53

Post by nelly53 » 2011/07/15 01:31:39

I am new to Cent OS & I just installed Cent 6 but when it boots it gets to where it is asking for local host login name & then password. In the install
there was no mention of a user name. Not sure what i need to enter to get it to boot to the desktop.

Thanks,
Nelly53

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Cent 6 asking for Login on first boot

Post by scottro » 2011/07/15 02:05:31

Didn't you set a root password? (I've seen this type of issue on Fedora forums--apparently, people miss it.)

If so, that is, if you don't remember setting a root password, there's the possibility that at present, it's a blank password. (Though, with CentOS 6, that seems a bit odd, as I know if you choose an easy password, you get a warning that it's a weak password.)

Anyway, to see if that's the case, use root as the login name and try a blank password.

If that doesn't work, then maybe the install skipped that step, or

In that case, you can boot into singleuser mode (by, when you hit the grub menu, hit e, as in edit, use the arrow key to get to the kernel line, the long line that ends with rhgb quiet, and just put a 1 at the end--that's the numeral one, not a lower case L.)

Then, when it boots, you'll be presented with a login prompt. At that point, you can set a root password. (At the # prompt, just type passwd and it will ask for a password). When done with that, type exit, and it will boot into the way it usually does, at which point, in theory, you can log in as root with the password you just created.

Note, in case you're not familiar with this, that it's considered poor security to log in as root, and you should, upon first log in, create a user account.

r_hartman

Post by r_hartman » 2011/07/15 07:55:37

Odd. During installation you get prompted for both a root password, plus a non-privileged user + password.
So after install you will always have both privileged and non-privileged access.

It is the non-privileged user you should use for logging on to the desktop, and use 'su -' whenever you need root in a terminal.
Graphical ui-tasks that require root will prompt you for the root password.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that this question (at first boot) is likely the one where you are asked to define the first non-privileged user and password. If memory serves me correctly, the root password is set before the first reboot, the 'real' user just after.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Post by scottro » 2011/07/15 12:12:29

On a Fedora default install, that's the case. I haven't done a CentOS default, just the minimal version, where one sets the root password, and then manually adds a user afterwards. (Which is the same as Fedora, just, as it seems more desktop oriented, Fedora's default is with a GUI--if you look at the CentOS install right now, its default is minimal.)

Anyway, with the GUI installs, I believe the firstboot program runs, and then it will, as you point out, ask you to add a user.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/07/16 17:02:20

[quote]
nelly53 wrote:
I am new to Cent OS & I just installed Cent 6 but when it boots it gets to where it is asking for local host login name & then password.[/quote]
Two possibilities seem to be that you did not install a GUI, or that you have a video issue that prevented the GUI from starting. In the latter case you should see some kind of error first, but in either case firstboot would not be run, and the unprivileged user account would not be created.

What options did you choose during the installation?

If you have forgotten the root password set during the installation (I don't think you can proceed without setting one) then see [url=http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/ResetRootPassword]Resetting a Forgotten Root Password[/url].