ksh not compatible with CentOS6

Issues related to applications and software problems
alvin81

ksh not compatible with CentOS6

Post by alvin81 » 2015/03/03 05:45:42

I am trying to run an installation script which requires KSH. I install the ksh using 'yum install ksh' and ksh was successfully installed. But I received the following error when I run the installation script.

./setup-server-linux-x86_64.sh
The operating system on this computer is not supported. The application can be installed on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.3 (or higher). For a list of supported operating systems, see the product documentation.

Anyone got any idea how can I resolve this?

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: ksh not compatible with CentOS6

Post by avij » 2015/03/03 08:46:21

Your ksh is probably fine. I would assume that the install script checks /etc/redhat-release to see if the application is being installed on a supported operating system. The application would probably work fine on CentOS, it's only failing at the version check.

Your options are:
  • complain to the application vendor to fix their install script to work on CentOS as well (here is an example for CentOS 7)
  • disable the version check from the install script
  • edit /etc/redhat-release to contain something like "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago)" during application install, then revert it back to the normal "CentOS release 6.6 (Final)" once done.

alvin81

Post by alvin81 » 2015/03/04 01:03:04

avij wrote:Your ksh is probably fine. I would assume that the install script checks /etc/redhat-release to see if the application is being installed on a supported operating system. The application would probably work fine on CentOS, it's only failing at the version check.

Your options are:
  • complain to the application vendor to fix their install script to work on CentOS as well (here is an example for CentOS 7)
  • disable the version check from the install script
  • edit /etc/redhat-release to contain something like "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago)" during application install, then revert it back to the normal "CentOS release 6.6 (Final)" once done.
Thanks avij! You are right! I saw some form of OS and OS version check in the install script. All these while, my interpretation of the error is that KSH does not support CentOS. :oops:

Unfortunately, the installation script is created by Big Blue and they strictly require RHEL. I am not very good with scripting either. I'll try the third option.

Thank you very much for this enlightenment. :)

alvin81

Post by alvin81 » 2015/03/04 10:01:16

A quick update...

I disabled the architecture check in the install script and it work! I used option 2!