Latest CR upgrade breaks encrypted swap?

Issues related to applications and software problems
larocque

Latest CR upgrade breaks encrypted swap?

Post by larocque » 2015/07/28 13:07:55

Hi. I have a server running 6.6 with CR enabled. I rebooted following a yum update -y this morning and can no longer boot.

The system has an encrypted system disk (created by the standard CentOS installer mechanism) such that to boot I am normally prompted to enter the predefined passphrase to unlock the disk.

After the yum update -y, I issued the "reboot" command which proceeded normally on the console through its shutdown process but did not complete shutdown. It sat there with an empty (black) screen and didn't display the standard BIOS info on the console to show it was restarting. I left it several minutes, but there was no response from the keyboard (indeed, even the keyboard Caps Lock light was unresponsive). So I cut power and manually restarted.

Upon restarting the system, the BIOS/Grub proceeded normally (with the new entry in Grub) and linux boot continued up to loading the storage drivers. Typically very quickly after this, I am prompted to enter the decryption pass phrase. However before that happened, I got this:
dracut: luksOpen /dev/sdb2 swap /dev/urandom
Warning: exhausting read requested, but key file is not a regular file, function might never return.
And indeed this is where it sits. I tried a second time and got the same effect.

Any ideas? Any suggestion on where this should be reported if it is a widespread issue?

basskleff

Re: Latest CR upgrade breaks encrypted swap?

Post by basskleff » 2015/07/28 17:42:55

Strange. Try rebooting rescue from media and running same luksopen command on the devices?
See if they'll open and mount them and run something like ls -lR>usr-fs.txt and inspect.
My guess is that will all be fine, but for sure want to eliminate the devices/data as an issue.
Do you have a bunch of non-standard repositories enabled?
Not positive but I think a yum -y will update from any enabled repositories.
Could have pulled something incompatible down that broke functionality.
You could run ldd luksopen on rescue DVD version and for every library that ldd reports run an ls -l
Do the same on your system disk's luksopen, after you rescue mount it. Compare. Just some ideas to help shed light.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Latest CR upgrade breaks encrypted swap?

Post by TrevorH » 2015/07/28 18:26:41

You would appear to have run out of entropy from your urandom device. Is this a VM?

Just a data point but my encrypted swap is still ok here.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke