Advise needed on update or upgrade CentOS host

Issues related to applications and software problems
girkers

Advise needed on update or upgrade CentOS host

Post by girkers » 2016/09/25 03:58:12

I host a couple of website site on my server I run at home and today I was going through some updates as I am in the process of doing a redesign for the main site. I had been using 6.7 and after the yum update it is now 6.8.

My main site uses Joomla and the system requirements for this have gone up since I built the server a few years ago, it was running php 5.3.3 which I have successfully update to php 7.0.11 through ius repositories. I was also looking at upgrading MySQL from version 5.1 but reading through the MySQL upgrade documentation they recommend going through each incremental version from 5.1 to 5.2 then to 5.3 and so on. Unfortunately there are no packages for all the incremental versions so I am in a bit of a bind.

The question is do I persist with my current install of 6.8 and go through upgrading that or do I start out fresh with 7 and move my sites to there?

Cheers

Girkers

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Advise needed on update or upgrade CentOS host

Post by TrevorH » 2016/09/25 11:57:29

If it works before the update to 6.8 then it should work afterwards - that's the whole point of Enterprise Linux, nothing should change between updates to break things.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

girkers

Re: Advise needed on update or upgrade CentOS host

Post by girkers » 2016/09/26 08:49:16

I am sorry Trevor you have misunderstood the question I was asking. I have upgraded to 6.8 and yes everything is working fine. However I need to upgrade the version of MySQL and I was asking for general thoughts on whether to fight through the upgrade on the current system or build a new one based on version 7?