[RESOLVED] yum localinstall - is this the best way?

Issues related to applications and software problems
pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: yum localinstall - is this the best way?

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/03 13:12:13

Thanks for clarifying. Now we need to have some feedback from the OP. Someone with an interest in recoll might want to try to get EPEL to supply a package for EL6. (Hint, hint. :-) )

taylorkh

Re: yum localinstall - is this the best way?

Post by taylorkh » 2011/08/03 14:46:55

A big THANK YOU to all who have offered advice in this thread. Here is what I have done...

1 - Built a "developer workstation" in VMWare
2 - Configured it to build rpm packages per the link provided by TrevorH
3 - Downloaded recoll-1.15.8-2.fc14.src.rpm referenced by Phil and attempted to build it
4 - Chased down a couple of missing pieces ( yum --enablerepo=epel install aspell-devel xapian-core-devel)
5 - Ran the rpmbuild again and let my 400 horsepower cpu chew on it for a little while
6 - Copied the newly built rpm to another CentOS 6 - 64 bit VM
7 - Installed the new rpm - no complaints
8 - Ran my dysprosium test on recoll - IT WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!!

I am dangerous now. I could not write an MVS JCL job from scratch. Yet in the last project I worked on before I retired I had almost 5,000 lines of JCL in my library. One of the two programmers I have ever known who could write JCL from scratch gave me a few sample jobs. Once I figured out what parts to change to point to different data sets, tables, procs etc. I was on a roll. Monkey see monkey clone. And now I can build an rpm if the one I need is not available in the CentOS repositories. And, having a bunch of CentOS VMs available I can do all this without breaking anything too important. I need to do some reading to better understand the process which I have done. Thanks again for all the assistance.

Ken

p.s. If one of the moderators happens by this post please feel free to mark it [RESOLVED]

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED] yum localinstall - is this the best way?

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/03 15:03:37

Thanks for reporting back, and congratulations on your learning/building endeavors. Marking this thread [RESOLVED] for posterity.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/03 17:47:03

[b]Ken[/b] -- A quick couple of questions from me. Did you see [b]Phil[/b]'s hint in post #10? Perhaps you would be willing to offer your src.rpm file to the [i]EPEL[/i] maintainers, for their [b]RHEL 6[/b] repository?

[ot]
JCL . . . Hmm, I think I was certified as capable of writing that, many years ago. ;-) What I knew then has now disappeared into the null device. :lol:
[/ot]

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/08/03 21:15:11

Alan,

I would be honored to be able to make a contribution - with a little guidance. You mention [b]src.rpm[/b]. The only such file I find is the fc14 file which I started with. My resulting file was named (by the process) [b]recoll-1.15.8-2.el6.x86_64.rpm[/b]. I do not at this point understand everything which went on behind the scenes after I pulled the trigger on rpmbuild --rebuild.

I have looked through the directory structure created under ~/rpmbuild. The only other rpm file I find is recoll-debuginfo-1.15.8-2.el6.x86_64.rpm. rpmbuild --help shows a lot of options but nothing jumps out at me re. how to build an src.rpm. So I guess I have two or three unknowns... What do I need to submit to the ELEP maintainers? where/how do I get it? and how do I convey it to EPEL?

In perusing the EPEL site FAQ etc. it sounds like I would become the maintainer of the package - is that correct? I am sort of off spinning in my own little orbit. When jf (medoc) make an enhancement to recoll and the updates gets to the Fedora project - would it then come to me to be "processed" and then shoved back into EPEL? Sorry if these are very basic questions. I am at this point an outside of the loop rookie.

Thanks again,

Ken

p.s. Regarding the two JCL programmers - only one actually DID write original JCL. The other one and every other main frame programmer I ever worked with always took some other JCS and modified it for the job at hand. Perhaps an ancient predecessor to OOP? or at least reusable code :-)

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/04 00:04:46

Getting a little off-topic for this thread's subject but if all you needed to do was to execute an [i]rpmbuild --rebuild[/i] on the original src.rpm file, then all you should do is to ask for the package to be rebuilt for the [i]EPEL[/i] repository.

In other words, a simple e-mail from you confirming that the rebuild process is successful and the resultant binary package performs as expected should be sufficient. ;-)

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/08/04 12:54:21

I sent an email to the EPEL development list and was advised to submit a bug to ask to have the recoll package added to EPEL. I have done that as well.

Ken

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/08/04 14:49:57

For the record that is [url=https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=728221]BZ#728221[/url].