[RESOLVED] Can tigervnc be be configured to use with a non-ssh tunnel client?

Issues related to applications and software problems
taylorkh

[RESOLVED] Can tigervnc be be configured to use with a non-ssh tunnel client?

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/26 22:52:05

I found today that the trusty (but perhaps untrustworthy) vnc-server has been replaced by tigervnc-server. A fork from tightvnc-server as far as I can tell. I installed it on CentOS 6 and tried to connect to it with a "regular" vnc client (vinagre on Ubuntu) and that did not work. I tried a java enabled browser and that did not work. And gvncviewer and that did not work. So then I did some reading and learned that tigervnc is designed to use an ssh tunnel. That is of course a nice feature but is a little overkill for my needs. Home LAN behind 2 layers of hardware firewall.

So then I looked for tigervnc (client) for Ubuntu. No such thing in the repositories.

Then I deleted [b] -nolisten tcp -localhost[/b] from VNCSERVERARGS in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers and restarted tigrevnc-server. Still cannot connect.

My questions are... can I configure tigervnc-server to act like the old, less secure, vnc-server? and if so how? Otherwise can I use a tightvnc client with tigervnc-server? I see a package [b]xtigntvncviewer[/b] available for Ubuntu. I guess I will need to give it a try.

TIA,

Ken

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can tigervnc be be configured to use with a non-ssh tunnel client?

Post by TrevorH » 2011/07/26 23:58:58

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree! I was intrigued and installed tigervnc-server on my C6 install. So my first step after the install is to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers and add lines like this

[code]
VNCSERVERS="2:myusername"
VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1024x768"
[/code]

Then I had to run vncpasswd as myusername and create ~/.vnc/passwd and then I could run

[code]
sudo service vncserver start
[/code]

Last step...

[code]
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 5902 -j ACCEPT
sudo service iptables save
[/code]

Now I can connect from my Centos 5 desktop using a tightvnc client.

taylorkh

Re: Can tigervnc be be configured to use with a non-ssh tunnel client?

Post by taylorkh » 2011/07/27 13:09:48

Thanks TrevorH,
[code]I think you might be barking up the wrong tree![/code] I have been known to do this. I have also been known to get out my chain saw and just cut the darned tree down :-o

I did basically the same as you did. I did remember to vncpasswd. As for the firewall - for testing purposes I just disabled the firewalls on both machines. I will add the necessary ports once I get the things connected.

Well, upon further investigation I found that I did not really disable the firewall on the CentOS machine. I clicked the red Disable button, it grayed out and the green Enable button lighted. But I did not click Apply. I guess I am too used to Ubuntu. The same functionality in Firestarter allows the firewall to be disabled/enabled without an apply. Only adding/deleting/changing rules must be applied.

And after all that... The "built in" vinagre viewer on Ubuntu works fine with tigervnc on CentOS 6.

Thanks again,

Ken

If a moderator would please be good enough to drive a stake through this thread and mark it SOLVED, RESOLVED or BRAIN DEAD as appropriate.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

[RESOLVED] Can tigervnc be be configured to use with a non-s

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/07/28 01:16:40

Resisting the urge to mark this thread [as appropriate], I'll settle on [RESOLVED] . . . both for posterity and on your behalf.