VirtualBox - Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Issues related to applications and software problems
robert412

VirtualBox - Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by robert412 » 2014/11/07 14:27:14

I have a system very similar to CentOs 6, oracle linux 6.5
I installed VirtualBox for my system when I run the machine created in him getting an error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine bazaczeresnia.
The virtual machine 'bazaczeresnia' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Kernel driver not installed (rc = -1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with / dev / vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, You should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if Necessary.

under the command executes /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup command in the terminal as root

result /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [OK]
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

/var/log/vbox-install.log
Makefile: 183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR = <directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Makefile: 183: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR = <directory> and run Make again. Stop.

What to do?

avij
Retired Moderator

Re: VirtualBox - Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by avij » 2014/11/07 15:36:35

Last time I looked, this forum wasn't an Oracle support forum. You should probably ask Oracle about your problem. They use a slightly different kernel than CentOS, among other changes.

grimmjow_sms

Post by grimmjow_sms » 2018/04/10 19:02:48

robert412 wrote:I have a system very similar to CentOs 6, oracle linux 6.5
I installed VirtualBox for my system when I run the machine created in him getting an error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine bazaczeresnia.
The virtual machine 'bazaczeresnia' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Kernel driver not installed (rc = -1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with / dev / vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, You should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if Necessary.

under the command executes /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup command in the terminal as root

result /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [OK]
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules [FAILED]
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

/var/log/vbox-install.log

What to do?
I had this issue also, but then I moved to Linux Boxes and the VDI i wasnt able to use worked fine there.

regards

lightman47

Post by lightman47 » 2018/04/10 20:11:08

As the errors suggest - try the install as root (not sudo). There's a step in the installation that doesn't "inherit root permissions" from sudo.

Hope this helps.

tunk

Post by tunk » 2018/04/11 11:30:30

Oracle Linux 6.5 is more than three years old, the general advice is to update to 6.9.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2018/04/11 12:37:35

OEL is not CentOS. I would suggest that you ask Oracle. Good luck with that.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke