install firefox 6 need help

Issues related to applications and software problems
georgekoshy

Post by georgekoshy » 2011/09/06 07:34:47

hi guys,
i am using centos 6.0 x86_64. i just want to install firefox 6 on my machine. please do help me..??

dcmarti1

Re: install firefox 6 need help

Post by dcmarti1 » 2011/09/06 11:12:33

George, I am in the same situation. I tried downloading the firefox6 tar file from the mozilla site and then unpacking it into the /opt directory, but it did not work. I got an error message complaining about a system file under the /lib directory.....I do not want to possibly damage my system with a package that is not installed under the management system.

I did, however, find this:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/leigh123linux/firefox6/

There is a link on this page for epel-firefox6.repo. If you click on that link, a plaint text file is displayed as follows:

----------

# Place this file in your /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory

[epel-firefox6]
name=firefox6 for packages for epel-6
baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/leigh123linux/firefox6/epel-6/$basearch/
enabled=1
skip_if_unavailable=1
gpgcheck=0

[epel-firefox6-source]
name=firefox6 for packages for epel-6 - Source
baseurl=http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/leigh123linux/firefox6/epel-6/SRPMS
enabled=0
skip_if_unavailable=1
gpgcheck=0

----------

This person indicates that you just copy this file to that directory, the /etc/yum.repos.d (as root, I'm sure). I have NOT done this yet myself; I have to be honest. I do hope, however, that this can provide a starting point if anyone else knows something. And feel free to correct/reprimand/humiliate me if this is wrong.

Even though this is on the fedora domain, I am guessing that the references to EPEL means that RHEL, CentOS, and SL will work with it.

Marti

lightdot

Post by lightdot » 2011/09/06 13:00:04

You are absolutely correct about the .repo and how it's used.

Leigh is a known Fedora community member with good reputation. The downside of this repository is that some of the packages will replace their stock CentOS counterparts. You might also want to look into enabling gpg checking if the packages are signed, since it's disabled by default.

Another solution that comes to mind would be using Fedora 6 from [url=http://rpms.famillecollet.com/]Remi's repository[/url]. He doesn't have Firefox for EPEL 6 but Fedora 13 packages should work fine.

I don't use either Leigh's or Remi's Firefox on CentOS/SL/RHEL 6 so I won't make comments on their differences or as to which is better suited.

dcmarti1

Post by dcmarti1 » 2011/09/06 19:26:52

George, I just successfully installed Firefox6.

1. Copy the epel-firefox6.repo file from the web browser to your system.

2. (Open a terminal window and su to the root user.) As the root user, copy the file to /etc/yum.repos.d directory.

3. Click on System in the upper panel.

4. Select Administration.

5. Select Add/Remove Software.

6. It will take a little time to build.

7. Enter firefox6 into the text box and then press the Find button.

8. Firefox6 and firefox6-debug icons should appear in the big box for s/w packages.

9. Select them in their check boxes and click the Apply button. You will be prompted for other packages, too.

10. The new firefox6 will be under Applications>Internet>Firefox6 from the top panel.

I just ran about:plugins and all my stuff (flash, jre, etc.) seems to be found. The firefox icon in the task bar is NOT the firefox6.

Marti

PS I forgot to enable gpg checking, but I sorta trust a fedora hosted rpm. Maybe I am gullible.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2011/09/06 21:11:27

If [b]lightdot[/b] is right about

[quote]
The downside of this repository is that some of the packages will replace their stock CentOS counterparts
[/quote]

then you need to install and configure yum-priorities and/or yum-protectbase before you install anything from this repo.

beaker_

Post by beaker_ » 2011/09/06 22:15:18

Personally, I don't see a down side of a newer xulrunner, cairo, pixman... Do you? But then again, I thought he packaged them not to overwrite the stock packages... A yupp that's what I see for Cairo anyway. Cairo from Centos and Cairo10 from leigh123. Dig around and you'll kick up Thunderbird to.

dcmarti1

Post by dcmarti1 » 2011/09/07 13:27:41

Downside? I don't see it either, beaker.

There are probably only 2 reasons why I have a computer: Internet (web, email) and OpenOffice. I chose CentOS for my second PC (a refurb box) because of stability; my main box is Ubuntu 10.04 Long Term Support (LTS). Since I am not a sys admin, programmer, web host, or AV editor, I do leave 99% to the province, and Providence, of the RHEL and CentOS distro maintainers. But just to have security/bug fixes for firefox.....for that I will upgrade outside the default repos.

I'd certainly not knowingly run alpha or beta software. I am not even concerned that the kernel might be a bit behind.....I'll just rely on the judgement/expertise of the maintainers - who do something I could NEVER learn to do. (Thinly veiled compliment just expressed.....)

Thanks for participating in the thread for firefox6.

dcmarti1

Post by dcmarti1 » 2011/09/07 13:31:06

Oh, and thanks for pointing out my oversight, Trevor! That will surely be a safeguard for those in production environments.

r_hartman

Post by r_hartman » 2011/09/09 07:50:31

[quote]
dcmarti1 wrote:
But just to have security/bug fixes for firefox.....for that I will upgrade outside the default repos.[/quote]

You are probably missing the point of an Enterprise Edition OS, which is aimed at maintaining stability [i]and[/i] security. Or you exclusively mean the current CentOS6 situation.

You do not need Firefox 6 to have the latest patches; TUV backports all security patches into the distro's Firefox, which is why you will be seeing Firefox updates when updating through yum. While version numbers are not meaningless in an Enterprise OS, they tell you nothing about security fixes. What will, is:
[code]rpm -q --changelog firefox[/code]
Changes are shown newest on top.

Please note that CentOS6 has not provided a cr repo, and that no updates are forthcoming until CentOS6.1, which should be any day now.
A cr repo, like has been established for CentOS5, is dearly missed. There are plans for creating one, though.

lightdot

Post by lightdot » 2011/09/09 10:39:07

I doubt he is missing the point of an enterprise OS - this is a CentOS 6 section of the forum and the current state of CentOS 6 is far from enterprise. Anyone using CentOS 6 version of Firefox 3.6.x to browse third party web sites is simply asking to be hacked, since it's remotely vulnerable in several ways.

It's a harsh situation and a C6 CR repo or a 6.1 update is sorely missed, but it's been "any day now" for weeks so there is really no point of waiting. All current users of CentOS 6 that need Firefox should upgrade manually ASAP (and perhaps revert later, as CentOS 6 gets updates again).