Laptop Keyboard and Mouse are unresponsive at login screen

Issues related to applications and software problems
jlang

Post by jlang » 2012/04/25 16:51:31

Hello, I accidently changed the orientation of the desktop on the desktop monitor I attach to my laptop. It seemed like it had frozen up so i turned of the power and restarted.
Now if I start up centos 6 normally it will boot to the login screen and then neither the keyboard or mouse work, and obviously I can't login and only have the option of turning of the computer. It doesn't appear that the computer is crashing at the login as the clock a bettery meter still work. Neither does it appear to be a hardware problem as the mouse and keyboard both work with windows (dual boot).

If I boot at runlevel 3 I can login and it seems at least that centos runs fine at the command line and I can access all my files etc. Again if I "init 5" it will load the login screen and become unresponsive.

Looking at other posts I have tried "xorg -configure" but this fails with the message "created number of screens does not match number of detected devices". This does though create a new "xorg.conf" and I have placed this in "/etc/x11" but this has also failed to change anything.

Since I can use the command line is worth reinstalling some packages?

Any help would be much appreciated with this annoying problem.

Thanks in advance.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/04/26 11:53:27

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

Please [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]provide more information about your system[/url] by running "./getinfo.sh" and showing us the output file.