RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Issues related to applications and software problems
joao2

Re: RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 14:53:49

[quote]
TrevorH wrote:
Repository priorities can range from 1 (the highest and most preferred) to 99 (the lowest and least preferred). The specific values that you assign to each repo is entirely arbitrary but the idea is that you assign them such that one repo is preferred over another and you give the CentOS repos the most preferred priority so that packages that belong to Centos are not overwritten.

The reason you cannot find phpmyadmin is because this package is not in Rpmforge for el6. You need EPEL instead or as well.[/quote]

What good is CentOS if it snubs phpmyadmin in this manner??!

Another reason why I was failing was because I was adding 'priority=3' to the getinfo.sh file, which had nothing to do with the repository.

However, now that I am modifying supposedly the correct file, I'm getting an absolutely crazy response as detailed below.

Initially i thought it was because I hadn't pressed enter before pressing Ctrl D to get out of the file, but tha turned out to be incorrect as once I did it after pressing enter I just get the same but with an inexplicable /n attached to the priority.

How can I install EPEL if that looks like its for Fedora and Red Hat?

And why was I getting this crazy readings of my file editing?

-----------------------

[root@server1 ~]# cat - > /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
priority=3[root@server1 ~]# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Error: File contains no section headers.
file: file://///etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo, line: 1
'priority=3'
[root@server1 ~]# yum install phpmyadmin
'priority=3'
[root@server1 ~]#
[root@server1 ~]# yum check-update
'priority=3'
[root@server1 ~]# ^C
[root@server1 ~]# cat - > /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
priority=3
[root@server1 ~]# yum check-update
'priority=3\n'

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/05/01 15:17:02

[quote]
cat - > /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
priority=3
[/quote]

So this just entirely replaced the existing contents of that file with a single line containing "priority=3" which is not what you intended. The cat command is NOT an editor, it con[b]cat[/b]enates files together and when run with - it takes its input from stdin (your terminal). It then writes its output to stdout and the > symbol redirects this over the top of the file you point to.

[quote]
What good is CentOS if it snubs phpmyadmin in this manner??!
[/quote]

It doesn't snub it, it just doesn't include it. You'll find many people distrust phpmyadmin as it does not have a great record on security vulnerabilities but that's an aside really. The package is in EPEL (Extra Package for Enterprise Linux) which, although run by the people from Fedora, is aimed at the enterprise linux distros such as RHEL, CentOS and Scientific Linux.

You'll need to restore the file you mangled or reinstall rpmforge-release (it'll probably install into /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo.rpmnew since it differs from the file you currently have).

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 15:34:51

How do I edit the file to add the line so it doesn't replace the file, then?

How do I erase all the files that were created by the rpmforge download, install and screw up?

What does the getinfo.sh guide mean when it says:

'''''Please click on the link, select the text and save the script to a file using the link above, for example "getinfo.sh", or save it to a local directory, change the permissions to make it executable and run it:

cat - > getinfo.sh # Note: Ctrl-D is EOF
chmod +x getinfo.sh
./getinfo.sh''''''

What part of their description changes the permissions, what part makes it executable and runs it?

On another hand, it may be true that phpmyadmin doesn't have a good security record, but on the other hand this isn't my first unpleasant experience with CentOS- last time, I was actively disencouraged by support at another hosting I was at, to install anything remotely complicated from a third party repository as CentOS couldn't handle them. Thought a part of it was undoubtedly because they had a noob in their midst, another was truely because of CentOS.

Anyway, I'll head off to download EPEL, which promises to be another despairing routine :-o

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 15:38:21

Well, not surprisingly, my attempt to install has already met itself with an equally obscure wall. I'm not sure how people are supposed to install these things if all the info comes down the grapevine.

I go to

[quote]http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL[/quote]

where there is

[code]The newest version of 'epel-release' for EL6[/code]

which leads me to

[code]http://ftp.cica.es/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm[/code]

which is i386, associated with 32 architecture. But I have a 64 bit CentOS.

So that can't be right.

Another link doesn't give me better luck:

[code]http://linuxmoz.com/centos-epel-repo-install-tutorial/[/code]

gives me

''Retrieving http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm
warning: /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.wANSRV: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 0608b895: NOKEY
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:epel-release ########################################### [100%]
'priority=3\n'
[root@server1 ~]# ^C
[root@server1 ~]# ^C
[root@server1 ~]#
''

Which is terribly surprising and frustrating given that this has nothing to do with the rpmforge repository. And yet when I try to yum install phpmyadmin thinking this new repository might do the trick, it hurls me back to my botched up rpmforge file.

I'd like to think it's because of a priority issue, that the yum install phpmyadmin is looking for a priority, but if this were true, surely it would be rushing off to the CentOS base repository which to my knowledge is probably set at 1.

If it is a priority issue, how do I erase the ruined rpmforge files, and how do I add a priorty of 3? to the new EPEL ones?

That is, if EPEL is compatible with 64, of course.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/05/01 17:38:20

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
which leads me to

[code]http://ftp.cica.es/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm[/code]

which is i386, associated with 32 architecture. But I have a 64 bit CentOS.

So that can't be right.[/quote]
It is a "noarch" RPM meaning architecture-neutral. It will work equally well for i386 or x86_64.

[quote]
'priority=3\n'
[root@server1 ~]# ^C
[root@server1 ~]# ^C
[root@server1 ~]#
''

Which is terribly surprising and frustrating given that this has nothing to do with the rpmforge repository. And yet when I try to yum install phpmyadmin thinking this new repository might do the trick, it hurls me back to my botched up rpmforge file.[/quote]
Computers are very stupid beasts that will only do exactly what they are told, and not what you would like them to do. :-)

You clobbered the rpmforge.repo file with the [b]cat[/b] command, as Trevor pointed out earlier. (Exactly the same way you clobbered the downloaded getinfo.sh script still earlier.) The rpmforge.repo file now apparently contains only the line "priority=3" which does not constitute a correct repo definition. Just remove it and try again. If you installed rpmforge-release then:
[code]rpm -e rpmforge-release[/code]Otherwise just:
[code]rm /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo[/code]Then try:
[code]yum install phpmyadmin[/code]

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/05/01 18:00:36

You broke yum by splatting all over the file /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo and it'll stay broken until you either remove the file or correct it. The easiest way to correct it would be to re-install the rpmforge-release RPM that you already installed once before.

[quote]
on the other hand this isn't my first unpleasant experience with CentOS
[/quote]

Your unpleasant experience has nothing to do with CentOS but more to do with your inexperience, sorry. If you run commands that you do not understand then you [b]will[/b] make mistakes. You can gain much interesting information about any commands that you intend to run by using the `man` command. So `man cat` shows you a page full of information about the cat command and how to use it. Similar man pages exist for just about everything else.

[quote]
'''''Please click on the link, select the text and save the script to a file using the link above, for example "getinfo.sh", or save it to a local directory, change the permissions to make it executable and run it:

cat - > getinfo.sh # Note: Ctrl-D is EOF
chmod +x getinfo.sh
./getinfo.sh''''''

What part of their description changes the permissions, what part makes it executable and runs it?
[/quote]

You need to find a book on basic linux commands and how they work. In the example you give there, `cat - > getinfo.sh` uses cat to take input from stdin (your terminal, as designated by the "-") and redirects the stdout from that command to the file getinfo.sh. Because it uses the > to do the redirection it overwrites the current contents of the file it's pointed to. If it used >> instead then it would append to the end of the file. Next, the instructions tell you to use the `chmod` command which changes the permissions of files and directories, the +x means to add the executable permission to the current set of permissions. Lastly `./getinfo.sh` means execute this file from the current directory.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 18:07:49

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
You clobbered the rpmforge.repo file with the [b]cat[/b] command, as Trevor pointed out earlier. (Exactly the same way you clobbered the downloaded getinfo.sh script still earlier.) The rpmforge.repo file now apparently contains only the line "priority=3" which does not constitute a correct repo definition. Just remove it and try again.[/quote]

Thanks but I'm both failing at attempting to remove the rpmforge file, and at attempting to overwrite it with the same download downloaded again.

Here's my fail at trying to erase it:

rpm -qa | grep rpmforge

gives me

rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64

so I

yum remove rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64

But I get

Setting up Remove Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package rpmforge-release.x86_64 0:0.5.2-2.el6.rf will be erased
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
'priority=3\n'
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
** Found 7 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
MySQL-server-5.5.14-1.linux2.6.x86_64 has missing requires of libaio.so.1()(64bit)
MySQL-server-5.5.14-1.linux2.6.x86_64 has missing requires of libaio.so.1(LIBAIO_0.1)(64bit)
MySQL-server-5.5.14-1.linux2.6.x86_64 has missing requires of libaio.so.1(LIBAIO_0.4)(64bit)
e2fsprogs-devel-1.41.12-3.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of e2fsprogs-libs = ('0', '1.41.12', '3.el6')
krb5-devel-1.8.2-3.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of keyutils-libs-devel
krb5-devel-1.8.2-3.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of libselinux-devel
openssl-devel-1.0.0-4.el6.x86_64 has missing requires of zlib-devel

----------------------------------------------------------

When I try to overwrite it, I do:

rpm -ivh rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm

And I get

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64 (which is newer than rpmforge-release-0.5. 2-1.el6.rf.x86_64) is already installed
file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rpmforge-testing.list from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2 -1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rpmforge.list from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.r f.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmforge-dag from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.e l6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /usr/share/doc/rpmforge-release-0.5.2/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmforge-dag from install of rpmfo rge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.r f.x86_64
file /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmforge-fabian from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2- 1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /usr/share/doc/rpmforge-release-0.5.2/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmforge-fabian from install of rp mforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el 6.rf.x86_64
file /etc/smart/channels/rpmforge.channel from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf .x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.rpmforge.txt from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6 .rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /etc/yum.repos.d/mirrors-rpmforge from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x8 6_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo from install of rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_6 4 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /usr/share/doc/rpmforge-release-0.5.2/mirrors-rpmforge.yum from install of rpmforge- release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x8 6_64
file /usr/share/doc/rpmforge-release-0.5.2/rpmforge.apt from install of rpmforge-release- 0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /usr/share/doc/rpmforge-release-0.5.2/rpmforge.smart from install of rpmforge-releas e-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /usr/share/doc/rpmforge-release-0.5.2/rpmforge.up2date from install of rpmforge-rele ase-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64
file /usr/share/doc/rpmforge-release-0.5.2/rpmforge.yum from install of rpmforge-release- 0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2012/05/01 18:12:18

[code]
rm /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
rpm --force --install rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
[/code]

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/01 18:18:09

[quote]
TrevorH wrote:
[code]
rm /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
rpm --force --install rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
[/code][/quote]

By this do you mean remove and force install rpmforge?

If so, this is what I get:

[root@server1 ~]# rm /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
rm: remove regular file `/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo'? y
[root@server1 ~]# rpm --force --install rpmforge-release-0.5.2-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
[root@server1 ~]#

----------
I answered y, what I think would be yes, but it didn't seem to do anything.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/05/01 18:30:54

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
so I

yum remove rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64[/quote]
The recommendation was:[code]rpm -e rpmforge-release[/code]Please [i]carefully[/i] read before executing.

[quote]
I answered y, what I think would be yes, but it didn't seem to do anything.[/quote]
It deleted the file. By default and by design a successful [b]rm[/b] command will do its work silently and return.

Unfortunately, if i understand the sequence of commands you have executed properly, you now have both EPEL and RPMforge installed and enabled, and those two do not get along well together. Please show[code]rpm -qa | grep release[/code]