RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Issues related to applications and software problems
joao2

Re: RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/03 17:40:50

Is this all just pointless?

Does DirectAdmin contain all the features I was trying to install from yum, features like phpmyadmin, apache, php or ftp?

Was that the reason its installation was blocked on yum?

Google does not clarify this...

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/05/04 11:25:05

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
Is this all just pointless?[/quote]
Hopefully it has at the very least been a learning experience.

[quote]
Does DirectAdmin contain all the features I was trying to install from yum, features like phpmyadmin, apache, php or ftp?[/quote]
Never having used it, I have no idea about that. Based on the excludes below it would appear that the installed system had at least some of those.

[quote]
Was that the reason its installation was blocked on yum?[/quote]
The articles in the recommended reading should have educated you on the use of yum sufficiently to understand the effect of the line:[code] exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*[/code]in /etc/yum.conf.

If you want to use the system as originally configured with those implied replacements for core packages, then starting down this road was indeed folly, and you should try to use the system as it was delivered to you. If it is too messed up from attempts to get around those changes, then a reinstall of the provider's image may be required.

If you want pure CentOS then a fresh install from distribution media would be the only sure way to get a clean start.

A lot of this pain could have been avoided by [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]providing more information about your system[/url] much earlier in the process.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/09 02:03:04

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[quote]
joao2 wrote:
Is this all just pointless?[/quote]
Hopefully it has at the very least been a learning experience.
[/quote]

Yes, well kind of. Thanks to all who kindly answered. But evidently it was a week of money lost for me, predicated on as you say I didn't give the hardware specs, well to be accurate didn't know how to, and on my misinterpretation of the server that had been provisioned to me, thinking it absolutely naked when evidently DA has all I want actually.

But I'm now more confident with linux for any hypothetical case in the future and will probably use the commands in this thread as examples of what works.