RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Issues related to applications and software problems
joao2

Re: RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 03:22:27

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
It would be a minimal install indeed if the venerable [b]vi[/b] was not included. Try:
[code]man vi
info vi[/code]
the latter navigated using [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=emacs+~tutorial&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a]emacs[/url] style commands - the [b]only[/b] editor for [b][i]real programmers [TM][/i][/b]. :-) (Any religious debates should go to [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=14]Social[/url].)

See also the results of a google on [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=vi+~tutorial&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a]vi ~tutorial[/url].

Many people prefer [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=nano+~tutorial&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a]nano[/url] which is likely also installed.

And stepping up a level to the shell, try [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=bash+~tutorial&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a]bash ~tutorial[/url].

And another step up - back to the [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=54]recommended reading[/url] for some basic books for the bedside table - guaranteed soporifics.[/quote]

Thanks, but when I do man vi installed from yum, it doesn't say much. And when I do info vi, I get stuck in yet another file that explains little and gets me stuck inside it without knowing the command to leave it, so I have to close window and login into putty again. I'm sure in those tutorials, after hours of reading I'll find something that'll tell me how to leave files... for example, on youtube, this guy said it was :q!, and it clearly wasn't! Now I'm just condemned to eternally creating swap files apparently or failed editing session and logging into putty again and again, very frustrating.

I'd be hard pressed to find a tutorial that'll explain why I'm stuck in the following loop this time:

[root@server1 ~]# vi /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo

E325: ATTENTION
Found a swap file by the name "/etc/yum.repos.d/.epel.repo.swp"
owned by: root dated: Tue May 1 02:42:16 2012
file name: /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
modified: YES
user name: root host name: server1.mydomain.com
process ID: 29396
While opening file "/etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo"
dated: Tue Oct 12 07:30:17 2010

(1) Another program may be editing the same file.
If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two
different instances of the same file when making changes.
Quit, or continue with caution.

(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo"
to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/yum.repos.d/.epel.repo.s
wp"
to avoid this message.
"/etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo" 26L, 957C
Press ENTER or type command to continue

------------------------------------------

When I do press ENTER, I just get:

[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/$basearch
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-6&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL-6

[epel-debuginfo]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - $basearch - Debug
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/$basearch/debug
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-debug-6&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL-6
gpgcheck=1

[epel-source]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - $basearch - Source
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/SRPMS

---------------------------------

I can edit the file but yet again I can't escape it!

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 03:42:25

Ok, folks, my apologies for the previous post, but :w is indeed the way to save the file, after a bit of reading of a vi manual, the youtube experience had angered me. Then :q! does apparently escape the file

But in my defense, in line with mine and linux's love affair, once I did finally omg eureka get priority=3 added, I ran yum update, and then ran yum install phpmyadmin, but it's still saying no package available!

What could it be? The wrong priority given to the epel repo? Should it not be 3?

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 03:55:35

[quote]
vonskippy wrote:
Slightly off topic, but after this amount of time futzing around trying to install PHPMyAdmin, you could have learned the basics of MySQL command line administration by now.

Personally, with the mess you've created with the repos, I'd scrub your install and start fresh, using what you've learned from this thread to prevent you from fubar'ing your next install.

Phpmyadmin is a resource hogging security hole waiting to be compromised.

MySQL Workbench, HeidiSQL, SQLYog are all better (and way more secure) Mysql frontends for those that suffer from command line phobia.[/quote]

Ok, I can try to install MySQL Workbench, is it as easy on the eyes as phpmyadmin way back from the glory days of clicking on Plesk Webmin and Phpmyadmin or is there a catch?

Not that yum install mysql gives anything different than yum install phpmyadmin does for me.

Following the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34559]previous discussion[/url], where pschaff corrects someone using the wrong mysql version

yum install MySQL 5.1.52-1.el6_0.1

also gives me no package mysql available

These are the mirrors it's looking up:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: ftp.osuosl.org
* epel: ftp.osuosl.org
* extras: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
* updates: centos.mirrors.hoobly.com
Setting up Install Process
No package MySQL available.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 05:33:05

The thing with all the guides and manuals is though they are good hearted and well intended, they think everyone must read extensive manuals before we read theirs. Take this guide for example:

http://dev.antoinesolutions.com/rpmforge-repository

I'm using it not to check the rpmforge repo, but the epel one. The part where it says

yum check-update

Doesn't explain what to look for.

In case anyone understands it, here's the output I get when I check update:

[root@server1 ~]# yum check-update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* base: ftp.osuosl.org
* epel: ftp.osuosl.org
* extras: mirrors.cat.pdx.edu
* updates: centos.mirrors.hoobly.com

bind.x86_64 32:9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2 updates
bind-libs.x86_64 32:9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2 updates
bind-utils.x86_64 32:9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2 updates
e2fsprogs-devel.x86_64 1.41.12-11.el6 base
krb5-devel.x86_64 1.9-22.el6_2.1 updates
krb5-libs.x86_64 1.9-22.el6_2.1 updates
openssl.x86_64 1.0.0-20.el6_2.4 updates
openssl-devel.x86_64 1.0.0-20.el6_2.4 updates
[root@server1 ~]#

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 10:42:24

I've been thinking about this issue while I slept, and it's gotta be one of two things, either the server is broken and can't find anything, or the EPEL repository I downloaded doesn't have anything. Maybe if you can teach me the instruction I have to insert into command line if I want to see the list of things that the EPEL repository has, I can get a bit further. Because as of right now, I am absolutely stuck, thanks.

Nothing else occurs to me as to what may be wrong. I followed all the online tuturials to the t.

markkuk

Post by markkuk » 2012/05/02 12:42:01

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
yum install MySQL 5.1.52-1.el6_0.1

also gives me no package mysql available

[/quote]
Package names are case-sensitive. Use "yum install mysql mysql-server" to install both the client and server sides of MySQL.
"yum check-update" gives you a list of available updates. Use "yum update" to actually update your system.
To see the available packages from EPEL, use:
[code]yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel list available[/code]

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 13:19:38

markkuk wrote:
[quote]

To see the available packages from EPEL, use:
[code]yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel list available[/code][/quote]

thanks a ton!

case sensitive, hopefully that's the issue.

But right now I'm stuck again.

The list that command generates is ginormous.

All I can see is a few features from the letter x onwards.

How can I export this list into something readable?

I'm used to ftp, and I have filezilla sitting here. But evidently ftp isn't installed, otherwise I'd be able to access the SSH root via something filezilla calls sftp and port 22, at least that's always worked in my experience.

Iirc when that happened I would export a file into a directory and just copy it into windows, but I don't think I can do that if ftp doesn't work. Can Filezilla do SSH access? I dunno, it doesn't make sense that it should fail in Filezilla, even though SSH access is called sftp in it.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/05/02 13:40:54

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
All I can see is a few features from the letter x onwards.[/quote]
If your terminal emulation is so primitive as to lack scrolling capability, then pipe the output to [b]less[/b] so you can page through it, or use [b]grep[/b] to find what you want:
[code]yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel list available | less
yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel list available | grep -Ei "mysql|php" | less[/code]
[quote]
Iirc when that happened I would export a file into a directory and just copy it into windows, but I don't think I can do that if ftp doesn't work. Can Filezilla do SSH access? I dunno, it doesn't make sense that it should fail in Filezilla, even though SSH access is called sftp in it.[/quote]
This is really a topic for another thread, or perhaps for another forum, as Filezilla is a Windows program; however, as this thread has wandered so far already, I will say that despite the similarities in name sftp is part of SSH and uses a completely different protocol, and default ports, from FTP. If SSH works then so should scp and sftp.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 15:39:22

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[code]yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel list available | less
yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel list available | grep -Ei "mysql|php" | less[/code]
[/quote]

Amazing as it may seem, the epel repository seems to be offline... for me, because at least yesterday pschaff could find phpmyadmin.

Anyway, I used the above, copied it literally, tried other ones like ftp, tried it without either-or to it, and all I got overall was the results below.

Mysql can't be found, though there seem to be plenty of mysql sub-sections, or what perhaps are known as mysql dependencies.

Only two results for php, and none for ftp.

This leads me to think I enabled the wrong EPEL, that EPEL may be partially down today (and yesterday), or that my mirror may be defective, or something wrong with my centos? I'm using ftp.osuosl.org, apparently. Which one are you using, which one is pschaff using? If so how would I change the mirror?

[quote]
asterisk-mysql.x86_64 1.8.7.1-1.el6 epel
bytefx-data-mysql.x86_64 2.4.3.1-3.el6 epel
collectd-mysql.x86_64 4.10.7-1.el6 epel
dpm-copy-server-mysql.x86_64 1.8.2-3.el6 epel
dpm-name-server-mysql.x86_64 1.8.2-3.el6 epel
dpm-server-mysql.x86_64 1.8.2-3.el6 epel
dpm-srm-server-mysql.x86_64 1.8.2-3.el6 epel
dspam-mysql.x86_64 3.10.1-6.el6 epel
eclipse-phpeclipse.noarch 1.2.1-6.el6 epel
gnokii-smsd-mysql.x86_64 0.6.30-1.el6 epel
holland-mysqldump.noarch 1.0.6-3.el6 epel
holland-mysqllvm.noarch 1.0.6-3.el6 epel
lfc-server-mysql.x86_64 1.8.2-3.el6 epel
libnss-mysql.i686 1.5-12.el6 epel
libnss-mysql.x86_64 1.5-12.el6 epel
lighttpd-mod_mysql_vhost.x86_64 1.4.28-3.el6 epel
lua-sql-mysql.x86_64 2.1.1-7.el6 epel
mydns-mysql.x86_64 1.2.8.31-1.el6 epel
nagios-plugins-mysql.x86_64 1.4.15-2.el6 epel
ndoutils-mysql.x86_64 1.4-0.7.b9.el6 epel
nntpgrab-php.x86_64 0.7.1-1.el6 epel
openscada-DB-MySQL.x86_64 0.7.2-1.el6 epel
openser-mysql.x86_64 1.3.4-12.el6 epel
opensips-mysql.x86_64 1.6.4-8.el6 epel
pam_mysql.i686 1:0.7-0.12.rc1.el6 epel
pam_mysql.x86_64 1:0.7-0.12.rc1.el6 epel
pdns-backend-mysql.x86_64 2.9.22.6-1.el6 epel
perl-Class-DBI-mysql.noarch 1.00-7.el6 epel
perl-Config-Extend-MySQL.noarch 0.04-1.el6 epel
perl-DateTime-Format-MySQL.noarch 0.04-8.el6 epel
[/quote]

Another search engine that isn't case sensitive, it would seem, is the yum search command, which gives me slightly better results. Initially I thought it could be because it was spanning through the Base or CentOS repository too, but even yum --noplugins --enablerepo epel search php gives me the better results so it makes little sense to me right now.

To make matters worse and proof of how remotely unfunny this is becoming, I can't even pinpoint this search failure to be the already unlikely fault of an offline repository. When I mimic pschaff's queries above I get better results than with his more recent query. In other words when I take his

[quote]
# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel,rpmforge list phpmyadmin
[/quote]
and turn it into
[quote]
# yum --noplugins --enablerepo epel search ftp
[/quote]
I get better results than when I do
[quote]
# yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=epel list available | grep -Ei "ftp" | less
[/quote]

These improvements are seemingly considerable when searching for ftp, as there were no results for it in the first query, but the famous filezilla or pureftp come up in the second one. But with php nothing too noticeable or famous comes up. nntgrab and eclipse remain, and a few others join the party. But no php 5.3 or phpmyadmin appear.

[quote]
cups-php.x86_64 : Common Unix Printing System - php module
eclipse-phpeclipse.noarch : PHP Eclipse plugin
graphviz-php.x86_64 : PHP extension for graphviz
nntpgrab-php.x86_64 : PHP module which allows PHP scripts to communicate with
: NNTPGrab
rrdtool-php.x86_64 : PHP RRDtool bindings
uuid-php.x86_64 : PHP support for Universally Unique Identifier library
lighttpd-fastcgi.x86_64 : FastCGI module and spawning helper for lighttpd and
: PHP configuration
limph.noarch : A PHP5-compatible network host/service poller with web interface
squirrelmail.noarch : webmail client written in php
tiquit.noarch : A PHP5-compatible help desk incident tracking/knowledgebase
: system
[/quote]

And then as an orchestral climax, when I return to pschaff's original query, I get no results whatsoever, when I posit it as a list instead of as a search:

[quote]
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel list php
Error: No matching Packages to list
[/quote]

On another note, how do I enable ftp on this server? I found the filezilla x86_64 package so jumped at the opportunity thinking a yum install of it would do the trick, but it hasn't. What kind of network impediment might be happening that stops me from accessing via ftp at the moment? Thanks all of you for your time and dedication

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/05/02 19:28:48

[quote]
joao2 wrote:
This leads me to think I enabled the wrong EPEL, that EPEL may be partially down today (and yesterday), or that my mirror may be defective, or something wrong with my centos? I'm using ftp.osuosl.org, apparently. Which one are you using, which one is pschaff using? If so how would I change the mirror?[/quote]
The EPEL repos have been available any time I checked, and are now. I am using the defaults, except for the definition of priority, and thus the mirrorlist chooses the mirror[s] to be used. Changing the repo config to select a single mirror is not recommended.

[quote]
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel list php
Error: No matching Packages to list
[/quote]
EPEL does not have a php package, but have you disabled the core repos. They should have returned something. Try the following:
[code]yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel repolist[/code]
Assuming you do have the core repos, and perhaps others enabled, then to query for EPEL php-related packages:
[code]
yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list php\*
yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list \*php
yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel\* list \*php\*[/code]
The first returns all EPEL packages starting with php, the second returns all EPEL packages ending with php, and the third returns all EPEL (including the testing and debug repos) packages with php [i]anywhere[/i] in the name.

Please start a new thread for FTP questions.