Issues related to applications and software problems
joao2

Re: RPMForge downloaded on CentOS, but still no phpmyadmin

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 20:05:24

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[quote]
joao2 wrote:
This leads me to think I enabled the wrong EPEL, that EPEL may be partially down today (and yesterday), or that my mirror may be defective, or something wrong with my centos? I'm using ftp.osuosl.org, apparently. Which one are you using, which one is pschaff using? If so how would I change the mirror?[/quote]
The EPEL repos have been available any time I checked, and are now. I am using the defaults, except for the definition of priority, and thus the mirrorlist chooses the mirror[s] to be used. Changing the repo config to select a single mirror is not recommended.
[/quote]

Does this mean I've changed it to a single mirror by accident, or that I should enable other mirrors?
[quote]
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel list php
Error: No matching Packages to list

EPEL does not have a php package, but have you disabled the core repos. They should have returned something. Try the following:
[code]yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel repolist[/code]
Assuming you do have the core repos, and perhaps others enabled, then to query for EPEL php-related packages:
[code]
yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list php\*
yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list \*php
yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel\* list \*php\*[/code]
The first returns all EPEL packages starting with php, the second returns all EPEL packages ending with php, and the third returns all EPEL (including the testing and debug repos) packages with php [i]anywhere[/i] in the name.[/quote]
[/quote]

Below I show the results. By disabling the core repos, do you mean the Base and Extras in the CentOS-6 repositories?

I didn't know how to search for them as i didn't know their names, but now looking up Base and Extras has shown me additional details as to where some results were coming from. Base for example has 4 php packages, but still no luck, phpmyadmin, php, mysql and other basics are absolutely nowhere to be seen.

I still don't understand what's going on! Why do I download and install something that turns out not to have the required thing in its repository. All the manuals on the internet barely give a moments thought to the possibility that phpmyadmin might not be in the repositories, but when I do it oh no, of course not its just not there. Its not in case sensitive, its not in the base or extras repositories, and every single manual just happily mentions the step as if nothing is the problem, they all say 'yum install phpmyadmin', but no of course with me it's like phpmyadmin is in the frigging moon

[code]
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel repolist
epel/metalink | 9.9 kB 00:00
repo id repo name status
base CentOS-6 - Base 6,211+83
epel Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 6,920+318
extras CentOS-6 - Extras 4
updates CentOS-6 - Updates 756+74
repolist: 13,891
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list php\*
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list \*php
Available Packages
nntpgrab-php.x86_64 0.7.1-1.el6 epel
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel\* list \*php\*
epel-debuginfo/metalink | 8.8 kB 00:00
epel-debuginfo | 3.1 kB 00:00
epel-debuginfo/primary_db | 443 kB 00:00
epel-source/metalink | 9.2 kB 00:00
epel-source | 3.3 kB 00:00
epel-source/primary_db | 1.1 MB 00:00
epel-testing/metalink | 10 kB 00:00
epel-testing | 4.0 kB 00:00
epel-testing/primary_db | 295 kB 00:00
epel-testing-debuginfo/metalink | 9.3 kB 00:00
epel-testing-debuginfo | 3.1 kB 00:00
epel-testing-debuginfo/primary_db | 24 kB 00:00
epel-testing-source/metalink | 9.3 kB 00:00
epel-testing-source | 3.3 kB 00:00
epel-testing-source/primary_db | 66 kB 00:00
Available Packages
eclipse-phpeclipse.noarch 1.2.1-6.el6 epel
[/code][Moderator edit: Changed [i]quote[/i] to [i]code[/i] tags to preserve formatting. Fixed copy/paste errors.]

markkuk

Post by markkuk » 2012/05/02 20:58:21

[quote]
joao2 wrote:

I still don't understand what's going on! Why do I download and install something that turns out not to have the required thing in its repository.
[code]
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --enablerepo epel repolist
epel/metalink | 9.9 kB 00:00
repo id repo name status
base CentOS-6 - Base 6,211+83
epel Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64 6,920+318
extras CentOS-6 - Extras 4
updates CentOS-6 - Updates 756+74
repolist: 13,891
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list php\*
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel list \*php
Available Packages
[root@server1 ~]# yum --noplugins --showduplicates --disablerepo \* --enablerepo epel\* list \*php\*
epel-debuginfo/metalink | 8.8 kB 00:00
epel-debuginfo | 3.1 kB 00:00
epel-debuginfo/primary_db | 443 kB 00:00
epel-source/metalink | 9.2 kB 00:00
epel-source | 3.3 kB 00:00
epel-source/primary_db | 1.1 MB 00:00
epel-testing/metalink | 10 kB 00:00
epel-testing | 4.0 kB 00:00
epel-testing/primary_db | 295 kB 00:00
epel-testing-debuginfo/metalink | 9.3 kB 00:00
epel-testing-debuginfo | 3.1 kB 00:00
epel-testing-debuginfo/primary_db | 24 kB 00:00
epel-testing-source/metalink | 9.3 kB 00:00
epel-testing-source | 3.3 kB 00:00
epel-testing-source/primary_db | 66 kB 00:00
Available Packages
eclipse-phpeclipse.noarch 1.2.1-6.el6 epel
[/code][/quote]

Let's get back to the basics. In #2 you were asked to provide the output from "./getinfo.sh package" but you haven't posted the results yet. Please download and run the script and post the results. It looks like you have excluded php and mysql from yum. Did you install this system by yourself?

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/02 23:08:26

[quote]
markkuk wrote:

Let's get back to the basics. In #2 you were asked to provide the output from "./getinfo.sh package" but you haven't posted the results yet. Please download and run the script and post the results. It looks like you have excluded php and mysql from yum. Did you install this system by yourself?[/quote]

I still don't know how to run that script, and how to export that script out of linux onto the internet. I think I remember asking how to do it in this forum and in another, but we moved onto the other issues.

The guide says:
[quote]
cat - > getinfo.sh # Note: Ctrl-D is EOF

or right-click and do "Save Link As ..." to save it to a local directory.

Change the permissions to make it executable and run it:

chmod +x getinfo.sh
./getinfo.sh
[/quote]

I know how to wget the file from the net.

wget https://raw.github.com/elrepo/packages/master/getinfo/el6/getinfo.sh

''saving to âgetinfo.sh.2â''

whatever that means.

I don't know how to turn it into an executable. I believe it's something like this:

chmod +x getinfo.sh

But when I write it in command line, nothing seems to happen.

I'm not sure what the guide means by the ./getinfo.sh that goes after it. Does it mean I have to write that in command line after chmodding and pressing enter? If so, that also doesn't seem to do much. I also wouldn't know what the line wants to do, or which of the lines does the actual writing onto either the command line or the server. I would imagine that all it does is write it into the command line, and that I'd then write that into a file by doing cat - > getinfo.sh.

Is yum a set of tools thats inside the server, or a call to an exterior server? Whatever it is, this is an unmanaged dedicated server that was given to me a bit more empty than I was expecting, from a serverstadium reseller. We wanted to test better specs than on my somewhat managed server and up till now the result has been 4 days thrown down the drain.

Is it normal to set up a yum without any of the basics? It sounds absolutely insane to me. I remember last time I fiddled around with centos in my somewhat managed server, I was told having to wget packages was the least recommended thing, so the notion that now because I have a pathetically thin yum I have to go wgetting them all ires me.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/05/02 23:37:32

[quote]
joao2 wrote:

whatever that means.[/quote]
I suspect it means you have already downloaded it and [b]wget[/b] is refusing to clobber the original. Try
[code]ls -lF *getinfo*[/code]
Hopefully that will show something enlightening, such as multiple versions, and possibly some with smaller or zero size. This is for your use and information. Please do not show us the results unless they are confusing to you.

[quote]
chmod +x getinfo.sh[/quote]
Yes.

[quote]
But when I write it in command line, nothing seems to happen.[/quote]
Probably because you clobbered the original with an ill-advised [b]cat[/b] command that zeroed out the contents after you downloaded it.

[quote]
I'm not sure what the guide means by the ./getinfo.sh that goes after it. Does it mean I have to write that in command line after chmodding and pressing enter? If so, that also doesn't seem to do much. I also wouldn't know what the line wants to do, or which of the lines does the actual writing onto either the command line or the server. I would imagine that all it does is write it into the command line, and that I'd then write that into a file by doing cat - > getinfo.sh.[/quote]
You only need to [b]cat[/b] to the file if using the copy/paste method. Please carefully reread the instructions. If you download the script to a file all you need to do is make it executable, and run it. You should then be able to transfer the output file to your Windows system and show it to us.

[quote]
Is yum a set of tools thats inside the server, or a call to an exterior server?[/quote]
Yes.

In other words yum consists of tools that live on the server and those use external (or local) repositories containing packages and metadata about the packages.

[quote]
Whatever it is, this is an unmanaged dedicated server that was given to me a bit more empty than I was expecting, from a serverstadium reseller. We wanted to test better specs than on my somewhat managed server and up till now the result has been 4 days thrown down the drain.

Is it normal to set up a yum without any of the basics?[/quote]
The default yum configuration certainly has the basics - the distro repositories - which contain all many people want or need. If you want to go outside that the onus is on you to know what you want/need and how to get and use it.

[quote]
It sounds absolutely insane to me. I remember last time I fiddled around with centos in my somewhat managed server, I was told having to wget packages was the least recommended thing, so the notion that now because I have a pathetically thin yum I have to go wgetting them all ires me.[/quote]
The only things you need to [b]wget[/b] are repo configs. Once the repos are properly configured then manually fetching packages is not good practice.

If you choose to use [b]wget[/b] for other things such as the [b]getinfo.sh[/b] script you should know what you are doing.

Frankly your problems are largely self-inflicted, and due to your lack of understanding of very basic enterprise Linux system administration and shell concepts.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/03 00:44:15

[quote]
pschaff wrote:
[quote]
joao2 wrote:

whatever that means.[/quote]
I suspect it means you have already downloaded it and [b]wget[/b] is refusing to clobber the original. Try
[code]ls -lF *getinfo*[/code]
Hopefully that will show something enlightening, such as multiple versions, and possibly some with smaller or zero size. This is for your use and information. Please do not show us the results unless they are confusing to you.
[/quote]

They are confusing to me

I don't know what rwxr, oxr, or rw, or mean, hopefully that isn't important. There's a slight taste of what may be a zero size object in the first string, where it says 0 while the others say 4666, but it most possibly may not be a file at all as the star at the end of the string seems to indicate regexp. Then there's a possibility that I have two getinfo files sitting there, maybe three, but other than that, I'm not sure what it means. For instance, if by that you meant discovering the name of the specific files, that what happened is like when in windows you copy a file into a folder that has the same name on another file and get a number attached to the end, if that's what you mean, well chmod +x getinfo.sh.1 should appear to do something in command line but it doesn't.

[quote][quote]
But when I write it in command line, nothing seems to happen.[/quote]
Probably because you clobbered the original with an ill-advised [b]cat[/b] command that zeroed out the contents after you downloaded it.
[/quote][/quote]
[quote][quote]
I'm not sure what the guide means by the ./getinfo.sh that goes after it. Does it mean I have to write that in command line after chmodding and pressing enter? If so, that also doesn't seem to do much. I also wouldn't know what the line wants to do, or which of the lines does the actual writing onto either the command line or the server. I would imagine that all it does is write it into the command line, and that I'd then write that into a file by doing cat - > getinfo.sh.[/quote]
You only need to [b]cat[/b] to the file if using the copy/paste method. Please carefully reread the instructions. If you download the script to a file all you need to do is make it executable, and run it. You should then be able to transfer the output file to your Windows system and show it to us.[/quote]

The only thing that occurs to me that may be wrong is I'm getting the name of the file wrong, that that may be what clobbering does to a file. But then chmod +x getinfo.sh.1 should do something visible and it doesn't. Regardless, when we do a numbered sh.1, as in ./getinfo.sh.1, something does pop up. It claims a couple of things. First it issues a bunch of warnings, then it seems to save stuff to a file /tmp/basedata.ztpMUY

[url=http://pastebin.com/AVtEWN7L]Here[/url] are the results.

[quote][quote]
Is yum a set of tools thats inside the server, or a call to an exterior server?[/quote]
Yes.

In other words yum consists of tools that live on the server and those use external (or local) repositories containing packages and metadata about the packages.
[/quote]

[quote][quote]
Is it normal to set up a yum without any of the basics?[/quote]
The default yum configuration certainly has the basics - the distro repositories - which contain all many people want or need. If you want to go outside that the onus is on you to know what you want/need and how to get and use it.
[/quote]

I still don't know whether yum is internal or external. For example, it only consists of external calls to repositories that are outside the server. Then how come it's anything to do with yum the fact that php, phpmyadmin or mysql can't be found. Surely yum is something neutral with nothing to do with content, sort of like utorrent, then why am I being asked what kind of yum I installed and why things are missing from yum when surely the question should be why they're missing from the repositories?

[quote][quote]
It sounds absolutely insane to me. I remember last time I fiddled around with centos in my somewhat managed server, I was told having to wget packages was the least recommended thing, so the notion that now because I have a pathetically thin yum I have to go wgetting them all ires me.[/quote]
The only things you need to [b]wget[/b] are repo configs. Once the repos are properly configured then manually fetching packages is not good practice.

If you choose to use [b]wget[/b] for other things such as the [b]getinfo.sh[/b] script you should know what you are doing.

Frankly your problems are largely self-inflicted, and due to your lack of understanding of very basic enterprise Linux system administration and shell concepts.[/quote]

Hopefully I've extracted useful information in the pastebin, though to me I can't make head or tail of it. Right now it seems as if I've done a lookup on the server specs, that have little bearing on the state of yum or the state of the repos, but hopefully it's of help.

Over the course of this thread you've kindly helped me, but in my defense and my crusade against the infidelic- albeit better at running scripts and sites- Linux, the issues have veered from the fault being in the wrong priorities of the repositories, to rpmforge didn't have phpmyadmin, and then about half a dozen twists till this present haze. I'm not entirely sure that clumsily making double copies of the rpmforge and the getinfo.sh files are the fault behind why either yum or the repos, or both, can't see any basic packages, but can see lots of little rarer packages. As far as I have mustered here, the only configuration issue a repos might have is that it has an inadequate priority that leads any search for its packages to be obscured by other repositories that hide it. But hopefully I'm wrong. But if I'm not wrong Linux has finally entered a romantic poet phase where it minces words and doesn't mean what it says.

YBellefeuille

Post by YBellefeuille » 2012/05/03 02:37:39

[quote]
Here are the results.
[/quote]

You've only posted the first screen-full. Complete results look like post no. 11 here.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/03 04:16:12

[quote]
YBellefeuille wrote:
[quote]
Here are the results.
[/quote]

You've only posted the first screen-full. Complete results look like post no. 11 here.[/quote]

Oh ok, sorry didn't know, [url=http://pastebin.com/MuWBbYwm]here's the full one i hope[/url]

YBellefeuille

Post by YBellefeuille » 2012/05/03 04:45:46

[quote]
exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*
[/quote]

That's screwy for a start. Where did that come from? Using an editor, please remove that line from the file [b]/etc/yum.conf[/b].

Oh, an editor; um, yes. Perhaps I can suggest [b]nano[/b]; I think it's installed by default.

joao2

Post by joao2 » 2012/05/03 05:37:03

[quote]
YBellefeuille wrote:
[quote]
exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*
[/quote]

That's screwy for a start. Where did that come from? Using an editor, please remove that line from the file [b]/etc/yum.conf[/b].

Oh, an editor; um, yes. Perhaps I can suggest [b]nano[/b]; I think it's installed by default.[/quote]

Wow. thanks!

It's either a gremlin or a marketing ploy to get management billing!

Anyway, it can now see phpmyadmin, which I went to install because I'm guessing it'll be more compatible with the DirectAdmin, as there's a link that says phpMyAdmin in it... I know, noobish but way back when I was a young frolicking virgin I remember entering phpmyadmin without a worry in sight... (maybe I'll experiment with mysql later on)

So I installed it but out of the 40 mb it claimed to consist of, by the time it reached 11 mb of the download, it spent the rest of the time talking about conflicts with the mysql server in an error summary.

An attempt to install mysql (via yum install mysql, not case sensitive, and perhaps not compatible with phpmyadmin) was even worse because putty claimed mysql conflicts with MySQL-server.. Does this mean I already have it installed, I dunno.

But the real problem right now is, when in DirectAdmin I click on phpMyAdmin, it asked me for a username and a password I don't seem to have. That's the first time. From thereon after, I get the following message when I enter phpmyadmin:
[quote]
phpMyAdmin - Error

#2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
The server isn't responding (or the local socket to the mysql server isn't configured correctly).[/quote]

Could the user and password be sitting there, do I need some sort of addon? Something left to configure on CentOS?

[url=http://pastebin.com/yxgNfk2Q]Here[/url] are most of the events

(my yum install php was also strewn with errors, if its any indication)

markkuk

Post by markkuk » 2012/05/03 10:00:23

[quote]
joao2 wrote:

An attempt to install mysql (via yum install mysql, not case sensitive, and perhaps not compatible with phpmyadmin) was even worse because putty claimed mysql conflicts with MySQL-server.. Does this mean I already have it installed, I dunno.
[/quote]
Package names [b]are[/b] case sensitive! MySQL and mysql are two different and incompatible packages. You must remove the non-CentOS "MySQL*" packages in order to use the mysql pacakges from CentOS repositories.