chromium-browser from the RHEL Workstation Supplementary channel?

Issues related to applications and software problems
ANogin

chromium-browser from the RHEL Workstation Supplementary channel?

Post by ANogin » 2017/01/02 23:30:37

I am struggling with finding a reasonable way of maintaining an up-to-date version of Chromium on CentOS 6. I used to use the repository at http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/chromium/6/, but it had not been updated for years. There is a chromium package in Fedora+EPEL, but only for EPEL 7, not 6. Apparently, the reason it is not included in EPEL 6 is that there already is "chromium-browser" package in the RHEL Workstation Supplementary channel for RHEL 6, but there does not seem to be any SRPMs published by Red Hat for that channel. I am aware of a script for installing custom versions of libstdc++ library for use with Google Chrome, but that seems like too much of a mess that I'd rather not get into.

Are there any "clean" solution for using recent versions of Chromium on CentOS 6? Thanks in advance!

ANogin

Re: chromium-browser from the RHEL Workstation Supplementary channel?

Post by ANogin » 2017/01/03 01:05:23

After posting my question, I realized that the nux-dextop repo has the chrome-deps-stable package that puts together a nice yum/rpm solution based on the https://chrome.richardlloyd.org.uk/ script, which makes it possible to just go ahead and install google-chrome-stable from Google's yum repository... Having a "clean" access to RHEL's chromium-browser package would have still been preferable, but this is close enough...

rklrkl

Re: chromium-browser from the RHEL Workstation Supplementary channel?

Post by rklrkl » 2017/03/29 19:49:04

Being the author of the install_chrome.sh script that generates the chrome-deps-stable RPM that's in the Nux repo, I was a bit surprised to learn of its existence! What's slightly worrying is that I've had four releases of that RPM in the 18+ months since that Nux repo RPM - admittedly all to update the libstdc++ library - and yet the Nux version hasn't been updated at all :-(

I do suspect Google will move their bleeding edge development platform along another notch soon and it could make it tough to keep Chrome running on CentOS 6. Firefox, for example, has moved to GTK+3 and that's totally bust it on CentOS 6 (there is no easy way to add GTK+3 to CentOS 6) - it wouldn't surprise me if Google follow suit with Chrome.