mplayer freezes causing internet connect to drop and gnome terminal loss

Issues related to applications and software problems
prusikknot

mplayer freezes causing internet connect to drop and gnome terminal loss

Post by prusikknot » 2017/04/27 20:57:36

I have a laptop that I I'm running CentOS 6 on. When I insert a DVD into the machine it uses the default player Totem but Totem doesn't get the audio correct so I switched to mplayer where I could control the audio source. Mplayer has worked very well for a while but now I'm having problems with a new DVD set.

When the problem happens, the following happens:
1. Mplayer freezes
2. The gnome terminal freezes up. If I open another terminal, it is blurred out and can't be used
3. The apps loose internet connection over wifi. For example, Firefox and Thunderbird. The apps work as normal just no internet connection. I don't hard wire this machine in the network.
4. If I reboot, it warns me about some programs not responded and I tell it to reboot anyway. After the computer logs out it freezes in a reboot. I have to force the machine to power down.

I'm using mplayer from rpmforge.

Any suggestions on fixing this? I'm not sure if this is a mplayer issue or something else.

Brian
Last edited by prusikknot on 2017/05/01 02:22:59, edited 1 time in total.

stevemowbray

Re: mplayer freezes causing internet connect to drop and gnome terminal loss

Post by stevemowbray » 2017/04/28 10:52:08

Do not use rpmforge. It has not been maintained in many years and all the packages are likely to have a lot of bugs and security problems. You should remove all the packages you have installed from there and install those you need from a maintained repository like EPEL or nux-dextop.

You will find mplayer and other players like vlc in the nux-dextop repository.