I want arabic support on my centos 6.5

Issues related to applications and software problems
rbasid

I want arabic support on my centos 6.5

Post by rbasid » 2017/05/14 11:23:54

Dear Friends,

I want want to install Arabic support on Centos 6.5 box where I have Oracle Weblogic server 12 installed, but web logic cannot support arabic fonts as my linux does not have arabic support.

Is there any solution on how to add Arabic support to centos 6.5.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
BR.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: I want arabic support on my centos 6.5

Post by TrevorH » 2017/05/14 11:40:07

Do not run CentOS 6.5. 6.5 was released in December 2013 and went out of support as soon as 6.6 was released in October 2014. If you run 6.5 then at a minimum you are 2.5 years out of date and maybe as much as 3 years out of date. In that time there have been numerous high severity security vulnerabilities discovered and patched (and exploited!).

Run yum update to get current and to the latest 6.9.

There are a number of packages in the 6.9 repos that match yum list \*arab\* and you will want to install some of those. Also, running rpm -ql glibc | less shows all the files belonging to glibc-common and looking in that list there are a number of files in /usr/share/i18n/locales called things like ar_AE through ar_YE and those would be Arabic support for various countries. If you run ls -la /usr/share/i18n/locales/ar_* and see around 18 files then you have the support installed (some containers that pretend to be CentOS but aren't, remove selected locale files as they assume they are not required and disk space is more important).

On CentOS 6 the systemwide locale is set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n and you should have a LANG= line in there to set it.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke