Get data of MySQL database from remote PC without SSH

Issues related to applications and software problems
Maximus

Get data of MySQL database from remote PC without SSH

Post by Maximus » 2017/07/08 07:10:17

Hello,
My company has a CentOS 6.8 VPS which running PHP, MySQL and Apache. The VPS is hosted in the data center.
The VPS is hosting a Magento website ver 1.8.1.
My company want to get data of purchase orders from the website and store in a remote server.
I have Googled and I found some results seems to look similar, but I am just a newbie of CentOS, so I go here to ask.
A friend told me I have to open a new port but he also warned about the security risks.
So I want to ask you guys about a workaround to solve my problem. Could anyone help me?

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Get data of MySQL database from remote PC without SSH

Post by scottro » 2017/07/08 11:17:36

It might be useful to put in what looks, as you say, almost similar.

User john at host myhost, wanting to get database called magento at myhost.mydomain.com

mysqldump -ujohn -p -h myhost.mydomain.com magento > magento.sql
would make a dump of the database on the local machine, assuming that user john from that host has access.

mysql -u john -p -h myhost.mydomain.com -e "some mysql command" magento will work, or just the mysql -u john -p -h myhost.mydomain.com will put you at the mysql prompt on the remote host.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/07/08 12:35:03

My company want to get data of purchase orders from the website and store in a remote server.
How often? Once a day? Once a week? Immediately any order is placed? Sometime this year?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Whoever

Post by Whoever » 2017/07/08 16:07:54

Maximus wrote:Hello,
My company has a CentOS 6.8 VPS which running PHP, MySQL and Apache. The VPS is hosted in the data center.
I have Googled and I found some results seems to look similar, but I am just a newbie of CentOS, so I go here to ask.
A friend told me I have to open a new port but he also warned about the security risks.
So I want to ask you guys about a workaround to solve my problem. Could anyone help me?
You are a newbie working with mission-critical data stored on a mission-critical server? That is a recipe for disaster.

You should find a reliable consultant to help you with this.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 2017/07/10 02:48:59

TrevorH wrote:
How often? Once a day? Once a week? Immediately any order is placed? Sometime this year?
Hello TrevorH,

It will be "Immediately any order is placed".

Our sales department uses a kind of ERP software. We want that after customers place order on the website, then ERP software can get the data of the order.

I talked with the software developer (who will code this function) and he suggested me to open port on the server and give him the connection string.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 2017/07/10 02:58:05

Whoever wrote:
Maximus wrote:Hello,
You are a newbie working with mission-critical data stored on a mission-critical server? That is a recipe for disaster.

You should find a reliable consultant to help you with this.
Hello Whoever,

I could consult the supporters from the hosting company. But I am worry about whether their change will pose security risks that I can not check.

I do not know whether the solution will be simple or complicated.

I am looking for a general idea about what steps I should do.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 2017/07/10 03:06:36

scottro wrote:It might be useful to put in what looks, as you say, almost similar.

User john at host myhost, wanting to get database called magento at myhost.mydomain.com

mysqldump -ujohn -p -h myhost.mydomain.com magento > magento.sql
would make a dump of the database on the local machine, assuming that user john from that host has access.

mysql -u john -p -h myhost.mydomain.com -e "some mysql command" magento will work, or just the mysql -u john -p -h myhost.mydomain.com will put you at the mysql prompt on the remote host.
Hello Scottro,

I did not mention that the remote server is Windows Server 2008. So, do these commands still work?

Sorry because I did not include adequate information.