CentOS 6.4 won't reboot on install

Issues related to applications and software problems
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: CentOS 6.4 won't reboot on install

Post by TrevorH » 2013/03/19 17:13:10

Fix your networking by consulting the FAQ link that I posted above. Maybe that will fix your desktop too! The fact that it worked after you went for coffee might indicate that it's waiting for something from the network and the coffee period allowed it to timeout.

benjie1

Post by benjie1 » 2013/03/19 17:29:51

Had read the FAQ #2 and not sure what to fix in that box. It does show eth0 but when I clicked edit, I was unsure what to do, so left it alone. The timeout (coffee) happened only once the other day. Must put the DVD back in the drive to get to the configure network as I have no desktop. Just able to use Ctl+Alt+ F2 and log in as root. Even there, I don't know what to try. Please suggest best way to get this network configured and I can do it. Thanks again. I know newbies are difficult but I'll keep trying and will succeed with your help.

Bob

benjie1

Post by benjie1 » 2013/03/19 17:41:36

may have lost a reply here. Not attempting to double post. Read FAQ 2 and with DVD got to configure network. The box showed eth0 when I clicked configure network and then I ticked edit and at this point I am unsure of what to do so I left it alone and contacted you. The only other thing I can do is login as root and try any suggestions you have there. No desktop available so can't use Preference, System etc. The delay the other day re: coffee just happened once. I will keep trying to do what you suggest. I know it is difficult to work with newbies. I won't quit. I'm sure with your help the problem will be fixed. I appreciate you help very much. Thanks.

Bob

benjie1

Post by benjie1 » 2013/03/20 20:57:21

Did a new install and clicked "configure network" during the install. It was set at eth0 so I closed it and finished the install. It went OK til the reboot and that did work but it was back to the same screen as posted earlier. Logged in as root from Ctl+Alt+F2 and tried the same as you had posted earlier. It gave the same error message as in post #15 (i think). You had mentioned in reply to my coffee comment that there may be a time delay with network connection. So after about 50 to 60 min a login screen appeared and so here I am using FF to post this to you. At the top, right in the desktop I ticked the network icon which had a red x on it. That went away and so I guess all is well now.

On the desktop were 3 icons at the initial login, One was a "benjie1's Home icon and double clicking it does nothing . Any way it can be made to open by clicking it. The other icons, Computer and Trash also don't work. Icons I added from Applications are OK. Thanks very much again for your help. It is really appreciated.Will celebrate tomorrow if it lets me login. LOL :-P

benjie1

Post by benjie1 » 2013/03/21 20:23:55

Tried after an hour to login from screen but no luck today. Yesterday a login screen appeared as stated.
Have keyboard use with Ctl+Alt+F2 and can login as root or user.
Any suggestions re: getting login screen to appear quickly, and how to configure network as was suggested.
Can it be done with keyboard and mouse as they are and no functioning desktop.
Thanks again. Help appreciated.

Bob

benjie1

Post by benjie1 » 2013/03/23 16:44:43

Success I hope. After about 2 hrs of trying FAQ 2, the first part re: GUI and "Configuring Network" was no good since I can't get the GUI anymore. Paragraph
; If you are not using Network Manager ... Tried to follow and understand this. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 Says to edit the configuration file whci I don't know how to do. Anyway, played around and got nowhere. Tried the paragraph below The ONBOOT edit ... no luck. Then below that # 3. Typed this in as root and got output Which I don't understand except for a line that said ONBOOT=no. I figured that had to be changed to yes, but how? Well I don't know but somehow I got it and that same output now says ONBOOT=yes and when I re-started it did boot right away. BTW I have some of the output written down if it is of any help to you. So 2 questions: first is did I really succeed in getting CentOS to boot everytime now right away or was I lucky this one time? And second: There were 3 icons on the desktop when it installed, Trash. Temrmnal and benjie1 Home. None of these open at all either single or double clicking. Other icons from Applications work on double click. Sorry if this should be in another post. Can you help with the icons and would LOVE your comments on the eth0 problems as above.
Sorry for rambling so much. Trying to give detail and explain what I was doing (newbie). Again I appreciate your help and that's likely why I succeeded. Thanks again to all who helped.

Bob

benjie1

Post by benjie1 » 2013/03/25 12:52:06

Hi guys. Need some help. Have had some success as you see in # 24 but still have problems. Seems close to getting it fixed but sure would like some help to finish it. Thanks.
Bob

hughesjr
Site Admin

CentOS 6.4 won't reboot on install

Post by hughesjr » 2013/03/26 16:34:34

OK, you need to learn how to use a program called "vim".

Take a look here on how to use the VIM editor:

[url=http://www.derekwyatt.org/vim/vim-tutorial-videos/]VIM Tutorials[/url]

First check out the [b]Novice Videos[/b] link. Those are all very good ... the (2) on [b]Basic Editing[/b] are what you need to learn, but you might want to watch the (1) [b]Welcome[/b] and (3) [b]Basic Movements[/b] videos first. The VI Editor is one of the first things all new Linux users should master. It allows you to edit all text files from the command line.

After you understand VI, Check to see if you have the [b]vim-enhanced[/b] package (vim) or only the basic vi editor (vi) installed with this command:

[code]rpm -q vim-enhanced[/code]

If the results look like this, you have vim-enhanced installed:

[code]
[johnny@m4500n ~]$ rpm -q vim-enhanced
vim-enhanced-7.2.411-1.8.el6.x86_64
[/code]

If the result is blank, you do not have vim-enhanced installed, but vi basic is always installed.

If you have vim-enhanced installed, as the root user, use this command:

[code]vim /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0[/code]

If you do not have vim-enhanced, you can use this command:

[code]vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0[/code]

This will use the basic vi editor which does not have all features, but you should be able to go into insert mode (press i) and move using the arrow keys to the ONBOOT line, then change no to yes ... then exit insert mode (press "esc" key), then enter command mode (press the ":" key), and write the file with this after the colon: wq! (wg! is write, quit, and force)

benjie1

Post by benjie1 » 2013/03/26 19:01:21

OK will do as you suggest. In this thread, post # 13 is the blue screen I refer to, and post # 16 is a link to FAQs specifically FAQ2. Followed those instructions as root and somehow got output from: cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 The output is this:

DVEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=B8:AC:6F:DE:66:EB
TYPE=Ethernet
UUID=f85df oe2-067b-4af9-a386 b7f28ea4c49
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Hope this helps. And appreciate all your efforts and will learn to use editors. Maybe I can google for a good .pdf file that covers the subject of editing file. Any suggestion for books and/or .pdf files?

Bob

hughesjr
Site Admin

Post by hughesjr » 2013/03/26 22:46:23

[quote]
benjie1 wrote:
OK will do as you suggest. In this thread, post # 13 is the blue screen I refer to, and post # 16 is a link to FAQs specifically FAQ2. Followed those instructions as root and somehow got output from: cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 The output is this:

DVEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=B8:AC:6F:DE:66:EB
TYPE=Ethernet
UUID=f85df oe2-067b-4af9-a386 b7f28ea4c49
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

Hope this helps. And appreciate all your efforts and will learn to use editors. Maybe I can google for a good .pdf file that covers the subject of editing file. Any suggestion for books and/or .pdf files?

Bob[/quote]

OK, now when you reboot, do you have a chance to login or do you still have the blue screen with no login box present?

If no login, press Ctrl-Alt-f2 and login as root, then type this command at the command prompt:

[code]ifconfig [/code]

The output should look something like this:
[code]
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:B9:F4:7C:1F
inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::226:b9ff:fef4:7c1f/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:43312834 errors:0 dropped:19348 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:27571617 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:54831833828 (51.0 GiB) TX bytes:8024338838 (7.4 GiB)
Interrupt:20 Memory:e9600000-e9620000
[/code]

What do you get?