Yum command has been broken

Issues related to applications and software problems
bhaveshporiya

Yum command has been broken

Post by bhaveshporiya » 2017/07/28 15:56:17

Hello, I am relatively new to centOS and linux in general. Recently I installed cURL 7.24.0 with "make install", which I think broke yum. Now whenever I try to run this command I get following error

I have been running in circles trying to solve this error and getting nowhere.

Please let me know what am I doing wrong? or How to solve this issue?

Kind regards

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Yum command has been broken

Post by TrevorH » 2017/07/28 16:25:29

Yes, you broke it. Tip : never ever do source installs on CentOS. It's packaged based and sticking to packages tells you about this sort of thing in advance by refusing to install.

If you're lucky then using your same source install you can run a `make uninstall` and undo the damage you did. Might need to run ldconfig and hash -r afterwards to purge the remaining references to it. If the make uninstall works but does not fix it then you could try downloading the curl packages fro one of the CentOS mirrors and using rpm to install them and they might overwrite your source install and fix it too.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

bhaveshporiya

Re: Yum command has been broken

Post by bhaveshporiya » 2017/07/28 16:51:53

TrevorH wrote:Yes, you broke it. Tip : never ever do source installs on CentOS. It's packaged based and sticking to packages tells you about this sort of thing in advance by refusing to install.

If you're lucky then using your same source install you can run a `make uninstall` and undo the damage you did. Might need to run ldconfig and hash -r afterwards to purge the remaining references to it. If the make uninstall works but does not fix it then you could try downloading the curl packages fro one of the CentOS mirrors and using rpm to install them and they might overwrite your source install and fix it too.
Oh man I could kiss you right now, I had the source from where I installed so "make uninstall" did the trick and then I ran "ldconfig" and "hash -r" and now yum is back on track. All this is a bit new to me but it's all part of the learning curve, I guess.

Thanks & kind regards