Anyone able to run headless on Abit AN9 32X Fatal1ty MB?

Issues related to hardware problems
fla_panther

Anyone able to run headless on Abit AN9 32X Fatal1ty MB?

Post by fla_panther » 2015/08/27 22:10:42

Edit: This has been solved.

Hi all,

I'm experienced in Networking (CCNP) and have been around PCs since the 80s but have always used DOS/Windows boxes. I've been meaning to get into server support (particularly *nix) for many years but life's always gotten in the way. I've finally gotten back around to this for the 3rd time, hopefully I can get this going this time. I chose CentOS and I've been farting around with parts I've had laying around. Figured I'd see about Frankensteining something together before I drop money on more hardware. I did that before and had compatibility issues, we'll see if I am luckier this time. I have a 2U server case a friend gave me and I've got 6 installed on an Abit AN9 32X Fatal1ty MB. The OS did install but I can't get the thing to go headless, which I'll need if I want to remove the video card and close the server case. I suppose I could get a 90 degree riser card but I previously bought one for a different MB and that one didn't work, not keen on mucking with that again if I can just bypass it.

I have a static IP configured on the box and tested that I can ping it from another PC when it's at the login screen. I then rebooted into BIOS and set it to halt on no errors. I saved the BIOS, removed the KB, mouse, and video card, but now when I boot I can't ping it even after letting it sit for a good 5-10 minutes. The onboard POST code indicator seems to stop at FF which is "Boot attempt (INT 19h)".

Google found a whopping 2-3 threads that referenced AN9 32X and headless. I also found a thread that referenced FACP but found no results when I tried combining that search term with AN9 32X. And I found another term ... it was a 4-letter acronym that started with H but I can't recall it now. Anyway, tried searching with that and AN9 32X and also got nothing useful.

Anyone have any experience they can share? Maybe some better keywords to search with? Before I clicked Submit on this thread I did some more searching and found this thread relating to Fedora, not sure if it will work on CentOS or break it:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ed-816867/

Also found this link that seems to have some related terms mentioned (splash page, etc), so I think I'm getting closer:

viewtopic.php?t=14859

I think I'll re-read those two threads and see if there's enough there to get me working but I'll post the thread anyway. Maybe some of you will have some better search terms/threads, maybe this post will have the search terms other users need to find the info later. FWIW, the last thread I found by simply putting into Google "centos without monitor" which I saw in the thread I linked to just above it.

EDIT: I guess this was a case of me being too strict in my search terms. After I posted this I found the info in the last thread was what I needed. I had to edit /etc/grub.conf and comment out the splashimage line.