Adding binary ko drivers to new kernel.

Issues related to hardware problems
syntetix

Adding binary ko drivers to new kernel.

Post by syntetix » 2016/02/01 19:40:44

Hello.

I've got a HP G7 DL 120 server with b110i embedded raid controller. I use CentOS 6.4 and the version is a must, so I can't upgrade it to a new one. The OS was installed successfully with HP raid drivers for b110i (hpahcisr) and works perfectly. Now I need to rebuild the kernel to apply some patches. The patches applies fine and building process completes successfully, but after reboot I get kernel panic message related to absence of hpahcisr module in the new kernel. Actually I have hpahcisr.ko file which was taken from driver rpm, but I have no idea how to apply this binary driver file to kernel during compilation and how to get the new kernel working with applied patches and raid driver. The problem is related to HP raid, because I did the same steps in the virtual lab environment and the compilation of the new kernel with patches was completed successfully and as result I got a working system. But I need the same solution located in a physical server. So any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Adding binary ko drivers to new kernel.

Post by TrevorH » 2016/02/01 21:13:17

Redhat's advice on their knowledgebase is that unfortunate users with Bxxx HP controllers should disable RAID in the card's BIOS and then boot and install on Linux software RAID. Those model cards are all FakeRAID anyway so you don't lose anything.

And on the subject of 6.4... it's old, it's out of date and was deprecated as soon as 6.5 was released in December 2013. That's now over 2 years ago and you should read the list of security updates available for CentOS 6 on https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-6-errata.html and pay special attention to all those marked important or critical. If a vendor is telling you that you need 6.4 then you need to ask them what you should do about the missing 2 years of updates and whether they will reimburse your costs when your machine is hacked.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke