ASRock X99 Extreme4

Issues related to hardware problems
etpoole60

ASRock X99 Extreme4

Post by etpoole60 » 2016/04/19 18:05:33

Working with a friend of mine, my wife surprised me with this very large custom machine which is based on a ASrock X99 Extreme4 motherboard; the remainder of the hardware is:
Intel Core i7 - 6 cores
64GB RAM
2 - 120GB SSD - to be raid1 used for OS and swap
2 - 4TB WD Black - to be raid1 used for everything else
MSI nVidia GeForce 710 video card

I've been working on getting CentOS 6 installed but it doesn't see the internal Intel NIC

I've read on the internet that this board does work with linux (in fact CentOS 7) but I can't get information on what was done to make it work. I know that ASrock was chosen because it still has PS/2 ports for my KVM.

Any ideas?
TIA
Gene
Happily Retired
Gene Poole
Woodstock, Georgia

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: ASRock X99 Extreme4

Post by TrevorH » 2016/04/19 20:58:40

Post the output from lspci -nn | grep -i net. The really interesting piece of that info is the PCI Vendor:Device id pair, it'll be in [] near the end of the line(s) in question.

I would expect almost all Intel network chipsets to be supported out of the box. Are you sure it doesn't show up in the output of ifconfig -a ?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

etpoole60

Post by etpoole60 » 2017/02/27 22:45:07

I left this thread abandoned due to illness in my family.

I was successful in installing CentOS 7.0 on this custom box. However, I am going to attempt to install CentOS 6.8 for my piece of mind (I was instructed on using RHEL6 and I am very comfortable with that). I have a lot of custom code that would have to be modified for a single machine running CentOS7.

I will document my progress here on the next week or so.

TIA
Gene
Happily Retired
Gene Poole
Woodstock, Georgia

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/02/28 02:22:29

I'd invest the effort in staying with 7 - 6.9 is due shortly and is likely to the be the last that receives decent updates. In a year from now, el6 goes into Production Phase 3 where only critical security issues are fixed. That time soon flies and before you know it, you'll be back converting back to 7 again...
Use the FAQ Luke

etpoole60

Post by etpoole60 » 2017/05/12 06:14:42

OK, It seems that there are multiple things going on:
1. I added a Intel 82572EB 4-port ethernet controller card and while it does work for the card to be seen a cold boot is required - doesn't initialize on a warm boot.
2. Working with both ASRock and Intel it seems that the ethernet card is OK, something is wrong with the MB and I've been given a RMA for the motherboard.
OK, while waiting for the refurbished board to get here I purchased a ASRock X99 Taichi and it doesn't like the ethernet card either. I'm going to replace the Intel ethernet card with a HP 4-port card ethernet card and see what's up. But first I will see what's going on in my /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

I must say that all of my machines I have built (or had built) with AMD work flawlessly with CentOS. I picked the ASRock X99 Mobo because AMD doesn't, at this time, make a mobo that will support 64 GB RAM (linux is not ready for ryzen yet). With 64 GB ram I can eliminate 3 other machines by using virtualization. Maybe I'll put all of my VM qcow2 files on my NAS and run all of the VMs using migration between 2 machines with 32 GB ram each.

I'll know by 05/15/2017 what I'm going to do.
BTW, neither Fry's or Micro Center techs know anything about running Linux so save your questions for this site.

TIA
Gene
Happily Retired
Gene Poole
Woodstock, Georgia

etpoole60

Post by etpoole60 » 2017/05/28 03:40:13

OK, I need to close this but not solved...

Seems I have a bad motherboard and I've got my RMA but based on 'real' work schedule, 35th wedding anniversary, wife's birthday, vacation, grandchildren high school graduation I'll not have time (or money) until mid-August.

I will reopen (or start a new thread based on problems) at that time.

TIA
Gene
Happily Retired
Gene Poole
Woodstock, Georgia

etpoole60

Post by etpoole60 » 2017/11/27 03:30:44

OK, This may sound strange but I swear somehow the problem has been solved for some time now.

I saw where the nouveau display drivers was installed during the initial installation and I was concerned that I wasn't getting the resolution on this machine as I'm getting on another machine with the exact same nVidia display card.
I talked with a friend of mine and saw that the older machine was using the nVidia distributed display driver. I went through all of the things required to blacklist the nouveau driver and installed the nVidia driver. The thing I was looking for concerning the resolution was solved (I use the same monitor via a Keyboard; Video; Mouse (KVM) switch).

But as a side issue (I was resolved to just restarting after a crash) I found out that all of my crashes stopped totally!

So I'm building a new machine and I want to know how do I stop the nouveau driver from being installed for square one?

TIA
Gene
Happily Retired
Gene Poole
Woodstock, Georgia

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/11/27 10:39:02

You can't but you can install the ELRepo yum repository as one of the first things you do and yum install kmod-nvidia and it will handle all the work iof switching over.
Use the FAQ Luke