Are there any known issues with yum update causing problems with Xorg and legacy cards recently?

Issues related to hardware problems
xtian

Are there any known issues with yum update causing problems with Xorg and legacy cards recently?

Post by xtian » 2016/08/08 00:09:21

I recently updated the system with yum, and now Xorg crashes the display. (you can see the whole update here).

Both of the installed cards are just as old as this IBM Raid xServer. Maybe something is deprecated? Or maybe the reinstall has caused some earlier fixes to be lost?

The Wiki pages for setting up the display seem to be outdated and here.

Any suggestions? I could add a whole lot of output...

Code: Select all

```
    $ lspci -m | grep -e VGA
    01:00.0 "VGA compatible controller" "NVIDIA Corporation" "G73 [GeForce 7600 GS]" -ra2 "BFG Tech" "Device 21c3"
    05:01.0 "VGA compatible controller" "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]" "Rage XL PCI" -r27 "IBM" "eServer xSeries server mainboard"
```
...from my afternoon revisiting installation of NVidia, found some long standing issue with NVidia and CentOS 6/7, and legacy issues from CentOS 5 on the ATI Rage XL.[/s]

UPDATE
Why should the update bork my VGA module? I'm going to strike that direction.

The last thing yum did was erase `xorg-x11--glamor` and `xorg-x11-drv-modesetting`.

Any suggestions?

iCone

Re: Are there any known issues with yum update causing problems with Xorg and legacy cards recently?

Post by iCone » 2016/09/20 18:34:53

The same thing happened to me on a legacy machine, after updating to kernel 2.6.32-642.2.el6.x86_64 we lost the GUI at the console. So far have found no solution and my workaround was to change the run level to 3 and just not use the GUI at the console.