no usable disk have been found on CentOS 6.4

Issues related to hardware problems
sonydafarsy

no usable disk have been found on CentOS 6.4

Post by sonydafarsy » 2016/11/16 13:20:47

Hello Guys,
I am newbie here, I'd like to share my problem to you guys here and I hope you guys could help me. it will be much appreciated.
I've tried to install CentOS 6.4 in my DELL PowerEdge R730 but during the initializing, I encountered a warning message "Unsupported Hardware Detected" but I could ignore it just by click OK. after couple of steps, I stuck in Device Initialization, there was an error "No Disk Found, no usable disk have been found" and I couldnt carry on the installation. Does anyone ever encountered the same thing?
here are the specs of my dell poweredge,

Machine : DELL PowerEdge R730
Raid Controller : PERC H330 Mini 25.4.1.0004
RAID 1

I assuming that the problem is on my Raid Controller, but I wondering if only I have to update the driver, which one is suitable and compatible with CentOS 6.4 (I've tried to ask Dell Support but they arent recommended to install CentOS in this machine. and it wasnt help at all)

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: no usable disk have been found on CentOS 6.4

Post by TrevorH » 2016/11/16 13:31:24

Your real problem is that you're trying to install an ancient version of CentOS on a new machine with hardware that post-dates the version of CentOS. 6.4 came out in early 2013 so is now nearly 4 years old and has hundreds of fixed bugs, some major security ones. The correct answer is don't use CentOS 6.4 use the most current which is 6.8.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

sonydafarsy

Post by sonydafarsy » 2016/11/16 13:48:34

Hello TrevorH,
Thank you for your explanation. much appreciated.
Actually I was recommend my customer to use CentOS 7 which is I've tried and it working properly. but they insist to use CentOS 6.4 due to they have some software developed under CentOS 6.4 in their environment.
I am still downloading the CentOS 6.8 as your suggestion. but I wondering whether their sofware could compatible with 6.8

Thanks

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2016/11/16 14:17:58

It should be. They really should not be using 6.4 any more. 6.4 went unsupported with no more fixes as soon as 6.5 was released and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of security updates that have been released since then. Check https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-6-errata.html and look at all the errata released since around Feb 2013 to see the list of the things that 6.4 is vulnerable to. The latest kernel is 2.6.32-642.6.2 and fixes CVE-2016-5195 for example which is a trivial to exploit local root vulnerability but there are many many others including all the high profile openssl bugs from the last 4 years.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

sonydafarsy

Post by sonydafarsy » 2016/11/22 11:53:24

TrevorH wrote:It should be. They really should not be using 6.4 any more. 6.4 went unsupported with no more fixes as soon as 6.5 was released and there are literally hundreds if not thousands of security updates that have been released since then. Check https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-6-errata.html and look at all the errata released since around Feb 2013 to see the list of the things that 6.4 is vulnerable to. The latest kernel is 2.6.32-642.6.2 and fixes CVE-2016-5195 for example which is a trivial to exploit local root vulnerability but there are many many others including all the high profile openssl bugs from the last 4 years.
Hello TrevorH,
Sorry for very late reply. I have installed Centos 6.8 and it working perfectly. the drives has recognized as well. but I am still trying to figure it out how would this machine to be able to recognize the drives using Centos 6.4 due to our customer insist to use that. but, thank you anyway. I appreciated that much.