Mini Single Board PC that supports CentOS 6.7

Issues related to hardware problems
GlobalHealthMD

Mini Single Board PC that supports CentOS 6.7

Post by GlobalHealthMD » 2017/01/31 01:48:53

I am searching for a low power computer to use a server for an open-source electronic medical record, Bahmni. I use portable batteries to power the server in a small rural health clinic in Haiti. I connect the server to a LAN created by a wireless router (also powered by portable batteries). Client computers (Chromebooks) which the doctors use to enter patient data, then connect to the server.

I considered the Raspberry Pi 3, but it appears that it does not support CentOS 6.7. We are stuck with CentOS 6.7 because it is the only platform that Bahmni supports.

Is there an alternative low power hardware solution that supports CentOS 6.7. I thought a mini single board PC would work because my requirements are at least dual core, 8 GB RAM.

Appreciate your help.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Mini Single Board PC that supports CentOS 6.7

Post by TrevorH » 2017/01/31 10:30:58

CeentOS 6 only runs on Intel x86 (32 and 64 bit) compatible machines so you will need to find a board that uses standard PC architecture. That rules out almost all of the low power cheap market which is almost entirely ARM based. Could you perhaps use a laptop for this?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

GlobalHealthMD

Post by GlobalHealthMD » 2017/02/01 00:47:37

Thanks for your reply. We are using a Lenovo laptop with hot-swappable battery system. Given our power-poor location of an earthquake resettlement community, we are using portable batteries to power a wireless router to create the local area network in the clinic to support an electronic medical record. I was hoping to integrate the server/router into one low-powered device (the Raspberry Pi 3 is capable of this), that way the system is small, portable, and low-power consumptive. The probelem is as you stated, the Pi and others don't use architecture that support CentOS 6.

I may be stuck for now.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2017/02/01 01:24:27

What's the problem with the current laptop?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

GlobalHealthMD

Post by GlobalHealthMD » 2017/02/20 02:16:43

We need something with a lower power consumption to cut down our solar energy cost.