My nic isn't detected after a default installation of CentOS 6.

Issues related to hardware problems
ydnam

My nic isn't detected after a default installation of CentOS 6.

Post by ydnam » 2011/09/14 02:40:16

Im currently using ASUS P8H67-V motherboard using built-in NIC (atheros AR8151)Gigabit LAN card.

Please could anyone assist me in getting it working? and if you can give me detailed instruction on how to install it, sorry newbie only.

thanks and hope to hear to the expert here.

taylorkh

Re: My nic isn't detected after a default installation of CentOS 6.

Post by taylorkh » 2011/09/14 13:51:11

Hi ydnam,

I had a similar problem with a Broadcomm built in NIC. If you do a search on BCM57780 you can find the threads in the forum. I got a lot of good advise. However, if the installer fails to detect the network card during the install it does not seem to install certain networking components and makes fixing the installation rather involved. Please do the following test:

Boot the PC from the CentOS installtion disk.
Allow the installation to proceed until you get to the "Please name this computer..." screen. See if the "Configure Network" button is enabled. If it is not, your NIC has not been detected. You can cancel the install at this point. No changes will have been made to your previous installation.

My workaround was to install another NIC from my junk parts box. The install now recognized that the PC had a NIC and installed the necessary networking components. Upon completion of the install I found that BOTH NICs were recognized. I pulled the temporary NIC and all was well.

Ken

ydnam

Post by ydnam » 2011/09/15 09:18:49

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the immediate reply.

Yes as i have noticed that during the installation of CentOS when it comes to part of "Please name this computer", the configure network button is disabled.

Then i look also in linux forum and search for "how to install AR8151 on CENTOS" there's some information made solution for FEDORA, UBUNTU and some part CentOS and tried each step such using Kmod*.rpm & AR81Family*.tar.gz that i could made as per instructed in the said forums but still not working in my case.

Then until i remember that i have an old PCI lan card 10/100mbps(Realtek) and i used it, but before that i disable first the built-in LAN card then i try to reinstall my CentOS until i see that the "configure network button is now enabled and finished the installation

Then i reboot my pc and tried to enable again the built-in LAN card thru my CMOS..then after OS system is up, when i check the network connections it still the built-in LAN could not detected.

my current kernel system is 2.6.32-71.el6.i686.

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2011/09/15 13:02:44

Hello ydnam,

It looks like you now have connectivity. That was my original goal when I added a second NIC. The fact that the built in NIC was magically recognized was a side benefit.

That said, now that you have connectivity on the PC try looking at [url=http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ]ELRepo[/url] There are some excellent instructions there about how to install drivers for hardware. One of the key pieces of data needed is the DeviceID. The link provides instructions for determining this value. Try working through the suggestions on ELRepo and post your results. Alan Bartlett, co-founder of ELRepo is a moderator of this forum. I am sure he will assist if you still have a problem.

Ken

p.s. If you ask for additional help make sure you post the DeviceID information. That seems to be the "coin of the realm" when discussion driver issues. If you do not offer it you will be asked for it. Don't ask me how I know :-D

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

My nic isn't detected after a default installation of CentOS

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/09/16 00:43:47

Excellent advice, [b]Ken[/b]. That said, I think you should continue to assist [b]ydnam[/b], the OP.

If you reach a dead-end or other blocker, just sound the alarm. One of us should hear it. ;-)