Wireless mouse and keyboard fail to work in Centos 6

Issues related to hardware problems
chriscs

Post by chriscs » 2011/09/28 11:11:10

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this problem, please?

I wanted to see what Centos is like so I have just installed Centos 6 onto a USB memory stick and was pleased that the installation was quite straightforward - even my WiFi card worked as soon as I typed in its password - and the USB stick boots without a problem. However, what do not work are my wireless mouse and keyboard. The keyboard works at the boot menu stage but after Centos has loaded it stops working. I have not had this problem before with a Linux distribution and am wondering if there is a solution. I am currently using a USB mouse and keyboard and the Wireless receiver is also connected to a USB port.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/09/29 20:05:44

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

A google on [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=wireless+keyboard+mouse+site%3Aredhat.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active]wireless keyboard mouse site:redhat.com[/url] turns up quite a few hits - mostly for Fedora - but may provide some clues. I don't see any upstream bugs on this specific to RHEL6. A [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=wireless+keyboard+mouse+site%3Acentos.org&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active]CentOS site search[/url] also turns up some others with similar problems, but no satisfactory resolution that I saw in a quick scan.

chriscs

Re: Wireless mouse and keyboard fail to work in Centos 6

Post by chriscs » 2011/09/30 15:00:39

Many thanks for your reply, Phil,

I am reading through some of the topics that you suggested. Meanwhile, I have discovered that when I use a different computer to boot my USB flash key, the wireless mouse and keyboard work as intended. My own computer has a Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard but the other computer has a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard, so it would appear that there is some sort of incompatibility with the Microsoft product. Quelle surprise! The Microsoft mouse is always saying that it needs new batteries - even immediately after I have just put new ones in

If I find out anything useful, I will post back here in case other people are having the same problem.

By the way, it was nice to see the word "fora" rather than "forums". Are you a classicist?

Chris

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/10/01 00:05:41

[quote]
chriscs wrote:
Many thanks for your reply, Phil,[/quote]
You are welcome.

Perhaps M$ is the problem, although their keyboards and mice are generally some of their nicer products. Using a M$ wheel mouse right now.

[quote]
By the way, it was nice to see the word "fora" rather than "forums". Are you a classicist?
[/quote]
Just an engineer who had teachers for parents and grandparents. :-)

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/01/02 16:04:28

Please do not hijack threads. Responses should go to [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=35040&forum=57]this original topic[/url]. This thread is now locked.