Re: Windows 8, 7 expert needed to map into smb Samba

Post by ChrisTheBA » 2015/01/22 21:08:09

This is true. When /etc/samba/smb.conf reads as follows it worked:

path = /home/shared
public = no
valid users = @users -that's an AT sign on my system-
writable = yes
create mask = 0765

It now works flawlessly. I believe I did chmod and/or chown to change the owner to 'users' prior to restarting samba.

amello

Post by amello » 2015/02/23 22:11:06

Let me join the frustration ... conversation I mean.

I've been trying the above for several days and no success so far. The last suggestion was to change users to +users to force user to be searched, but that also didn't work in my case.

Adding my user's name to the line authenticated like a charm, but I have to agree that adding every and each user to the authorized list is kind of silly.

The smb.conf I've used is the one provided in the example from howtoforge by Srijan (thanks) and I can see both of my test boxes in windows and both has the public and secured folders:
x==== begin smb.conf ===========================x-
[global]
netbios name = CENTOS
server string = Samba Server %v
map to guest = Bad User
dns proxy = No
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[Anonymous]
path = /samba/anonymous
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

[secured]
path = /samba/secured
valid users = @smbgrp
read only = No
x ==================== end smb.conf ======================x

very simple and effective configuration for my home use and it did work, but the authentication for secure only worked when I changed "valid users" from @smbgrp to my user's name.

One thing I've noticed is that when looking at webmin -> Samba -> Samba Groups, the group created (when following howtoforge instructions) IS NOT listed there. In fact there aren't groups created. Funny as when I added my users to the group I got confirmation the first time and a message saying that the user already existed the second time.

Looking at the share security, the samba group wasn't listed, so added.

Re-checked my smg.conf file and webmin has changed the access back to @smbgrp. Tried to open the share and asked for login. failed again.
Edited my windows credentials for the server and changed from <computer name>/<user name> to WORKGROUP/<user name> and ... failed again.

So, short of creating a user to be the samba user and have that shared by my family or add each and everyone of them to the list, I don't know how to solve.

The above was tried to Win 7 and 8, CentOS 7 fresh installs.

Any suggestions and/or information requests?

Regards,
Al

amello

Post by amello » 2015/02/24 19:33:09

Follow-up

Here's what was causing the issue on my end:

When running the commands for my existing user, I was getting an error:

[root@centos1 samba]# useradd amello -G smbgrp
useradd: user 'amello' already exists

as the user already existed.

Looking at the groups with webmin, I noticed that my user wasn't added to the smbgrp, so manually added, restarted samba and voila!

So not an issue on the windows side, but a RTFM issue.