YUM does not work, will not resolve URLs only raw IP addresses it will ping...

Issues related to configuring your network
xt0x1

YUM does not work, will not resolve URLs only raw IP addresses it will ping...

Post by xt0x1 » 2017/02/12 15:31:31

I am running Cent os 6.5 x64 and It seems as though when I try install anything with YUM or downloading any cross-compilers uclibc.org it will not work...I have a feeling there is something wrong in my configuration, I have my own DNS nameservers, but i do not know how to check them or how to change them. Any help would be greatly appreciated as Ive been having problems for 3 days now with this company and even getting my server setup the right way...

Sidenote: Tehy gave me my first server and YUM worked fine, then when i tryed logging in i kept getting connection refused, so they gave me a new server ip and havent had any problems logging just I cant install and packages so i believe it is something with my DNS nameservers...not being configured right

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: YUM does not work, will not resolve URLs only raw IP addresses it will ping...

Post by TrevorH » 2017/02/12 15:36:24

What's in /etc/resolv.conf? That's where DNS servers are configured - you can try testing by using Google's public name server and adding a line above all the other "nameserver" lines that says nameserver 8.8.8.8

Once you get that working you really need to run a full yum update as 6.5 is over 3 years old and has numerous unpatched high severity security vulnerabilities. The current 6.x version is 6.8 plus assorted patches released since that came out.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke