centos device eth2 does not seem to be present

Issues related to configuring your network
jmurdock

Post by jmurdock » 2017/04/05 18:27:45

I have a new server that I am trying to get configured with CentOS 6.7 this is a Dell R620 with 4 NIC ports + dedicated iDRAC. There are no VMS, this is not a clone, it is a fresh install.

During the install I filled in the section for the server name, IP, gateway and DNS entries. When the install completed there was no network access so I had a look for the eth2 configuration file, it did not exist, neither did any other. (I should note that the 3rd and 4'th ports are plugged into our switch, since eth seems to be 0 based I ASSUME that is eth2)

I added a file:

When I restarted networking I was told that:

I have tried making it eth3 in case that was the issue, no change, same result.

Since this is my first post on the board and it isn't wyswyg I ASSUME the image above might show something of use (if you can see it.)

All the examples I can find through dr Google (and there are many) seem to be for VMs and clones and often have to do with the Mac address, which does not seem applicable to this issue.

I am pretty new to Linux so any assistance would be appreciated.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: centos device eth2 does not seem to be present

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/05 23:56:26

On CentOS 6 on a Dell you will get interfaces called things like 'em1', 'em4' etc for the embedded interfaces and others like p3p1 for the first port on the card in pci slot 3. Look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ for ifcfg-* files to see what yours are called. Or run `ifconfig -a` to see the inactive ones too.

Don't run 6.7, it's old and out of date and has unfixed security vulnerabilities. 6.9 was released today and is the current version. Run yum update to get to it once you have your connections up and running.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke