Can't access a windows 10 share[Solved]

Issues related to configuring your network
penthoy

Can't access a windows 10 share[Solved]

Post by penthoy » 2017/04/22 06:36:37

Greetings,

I have a virtual machine setup as such: The host is a windows 10 with 2 physical hard drives, I have several vitual machines(vmware workstation) hosted on drive1, and I have made a windows share out of drive2, planing to connect to it on the virtual machines, one of them is a cenos 6.9 I'm able to get a prompt by going to smb://192.168.x.x/windowsshare but when I put in the correct username and password, it will prompt me again with no message what so ever, I have tried both with a windows 10 and windows 7 virtual machine side-by-side with the same address, same vm setup and same username password they are able to connect perfectly, also on the centos vm ntfs support is installed, the same kind of setup I was able to mount local ntfs drives, I have searched all the internet with no luck, hope to get some answer here, Thanks in advanced.
Last edited by penthoy on 2017/04/24 04:06:09, edited 1 time in total.

NdFeB

Re: Can't access a windows 10 share

Post by NdFeB » 2017/04/23 13:44:41

Hi,

When you say "ntfs support", do you mean cifs ? When you access a share, you need a network protocol, not a file system i/o support. As root, install the package cifs-utils

Code: Select all

yum install cifs-utils
then

mount.cifs -o username=windowsusername //192.168.x.x/windowsshare /mnt
If you intend to access the share from an other user than root, lets say toto, uid/gid = 500, add the following options :

mount.cifs -o username=windowsusername,uid=500,gid=500 //192.168.x.x/windowsshare /mnt
You will be prompted for your windows password. Provide it, then your share is mounted on /mnt. For a quick share without acl, this a a good way to go. Just make sure to set proper permissions on the windows share if you want to write on it (right click on shared folder, properties, sharing tab, Advanced Sharing..., check the box, click on Permissions, and here set who should be able to mount the share). For a basic share, "Authenticated users" or "yourusername" with Read/Change is enough.

If you want multiuser access with compatible ACL between windows/linux, you need to setup the share on a Linux machine and use samba to export the share (you can then manage ACL from windows). I honestly don't know how to setup this when outside of a domain...

Regards.

penthoy

Re: Can't access a windows 10 share

Post by penthoy » 2017/04/24 04:05:37

Thanks NdFeB, worked perfectly!