Can I make this work local

Issues related to configuring your network
rwobben

Can I make this work local

Post by rwobben » 2017/04/27 17:42:36

Hello,

Im following this tutorial so I can learn some basics to make a mailserver(http://www.shisaa.jp/postset/mailserver-1.html)

Now I see that it only works when you send a mail outside the box.

Does anyone what I have to change to make it work local so in the box itself.

Roelof

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Can I make this work local

Post by TrevorH » 2017/04/27 17:57:51

Well, I do approve of that link's first few paragraphs where s/he talks about the path to running a mail server being littered with the corpses of systems administrators but I stopped reading as soon as they recommended abandoning the distro postfix packages and using CentALT instead. Last time I looked at CentALT they had a major major drawback in that none of the packages they produced were GPG signed. That means that if that repo was ever compromised you would never know that the packages you were downloading and installing were not what they should be.

Personally I wouldn't use anything other than the distro provided mail packages unless there was a really big reason not to. If you have to do so then the ghettoforge repo packages more recent postfix (and dovecot) I believe and their packages are signed and they do update on a regular basis. But I'd still only use them if the distro ones were lacking some feature that I really required.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

rwobben

Re: Can I make this work local

Post by rwobben » 2017/04/27 19:51:06

oke,

I will do that but still I do not have a answer to my question how to make postfix run locally instead of running so i get the mails from outside

Roelof