SELinux errors using rsync to backup /

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
Luni

SELinux errors using rsync to backup /

Post by Luni » 2014/04/13 08:46:47

Hello,

I have a home server running CentOS 6.5 which is comprised of 1 OS disk and 5 other disks as part of a software Raid 5. The raid is mounted at /raid. All filesystems are ext4.

I would like to use rsync to backup my OS disk to the raid using the following command:

Code: Select all

rsync -aAXv --delete --stats / /raid/os-backup --exclude={/raid/*,/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/mnt/*,/lost+found/,/var/cache/yum/*}
However, running this I receive many errors similar to the following:

rsync: rsync_xal_clear: lremovexattr("raid","security.selinux") failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("selinux","security.selinux") failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("selinux/access","security.selinux") failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync: rsync_xal_set: lsetxattr("selinux/checkreqprot","security.selinux") failed: Permission denied (13)
From some research online I've found that it's selinux protecting itself from having its attributes removed from certain folders (such as /raid). However, the hundreds of errors in /selinux/* worry me because I was under the assumption I could cp -p /raid/os-backup onto a new properly partitioned OS disk in the event I need to. I could exclude /selinux to obviously eliminate most of the errors, but then /raid/os-backup becomes only part of a CentOS install.

Am I approaching this problem correctly? If so, is there a way to resolve the rsync errors and make SELinux happy?

Thank you very much for your time.

Luni

Re: SELinux errors using rsync to backup /

Post by Luni » 2014/04/15 03:36:19

After thinking some more about this, I think it would make sense to remove the -X option from rsync. Then, in the event I have to restore the OS disk I could run the following after copying the backup over:

restorecon -Fprv /
This is assuming that I've used semanage to manage all file contexts (which I have thus far). Is the -F necessary in this scenario? Would ignoring the extended attributes for the backup have any consequences that I'm unaware of?

Thank you again for your time.