How to run the software updates?

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
Art11

Post by Art11 » 2011/09/05 17:00:40

Hi,
I'm Linux virgin... Should I run the soft updates as root or non-root user? How to run the updates using command line please, e.g. terminal? (i need Linux vocabulary upgrade...)
I tried to run the updates but got security warning... Scared...
Thank you very much. :-?

h_fat

Post by h_fat » 2011/09/05 17:38:06

The command is "yum update". You need to run it as root but you can of course use sudo or something.

Please post the scary warning you got if you want help about it.

Art11

Re: How to run the software updates?

Post by Art11 » 2011/09/06 00:20:19

Thank you very much for your help.
The "scary" message i saw was probably a general warning saying that it was not a good idea to run graphical appl. as root. But now with your help I know how to run it with yum.

And if anybody can explain in a few words how YUM works that would be great. What I want to know is how yum updates the system? Does it download the latest rpm's and installs it or else... How to make sure i get the latest rpm if using yum update/install?
Thank you very much again.
:-)

h_fat

Re: How to run the software updates?

Post by h_fat » 2011/09/06 00:43:30

It used to be that if you simply typed the two words "yum update" and hit enter, you would be shown a list of the stuff the package managers wanted to update. After agreeing to these updates, the latest versions would be automatically downloaded and installed (you would however need to reboot to use the new kernel if it was updated).
But now there's a twist: some updates are being released in a special channel called CR. As of now there's no such channel for CentOS6 but it should be available shortly. You'll need a little configuration to get yum to fetch these updates before they hit the regular update channel.

The stuff that was part of the original isntallation as well as everything you installed with "yum install package_name" will be automatically updated when you execute "yum update". If you have to install something manually because yum doesn't have the package you want, you'll have to update it manually as well.