General support questions including new installations
NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Re: Problem during yum update

Post by NedSlider » 2008/07/28 12:18:26

[quote]
richard_chapman wrote:
Thanks Nedslider...

OK. So I haven't dons something completely daft.. That's reassuring....:-) I think Toracat thought it was abnormal to have both - and having both seemed to cause me a problem with the Centos 5.2 updates. I had to remove the i386 perl so the 5.2 update for perl would install without errors.

I might have to leave this for you and Toracat to solve the mystery - because I'm off overseas in a few hours - and wont be around for 3 weeks. Please keep posting - and I'll try to pick up the threads when I get back

Thanks to all for your help

Richard.[/quote]

Yes, it's normal to have some packages present in both i386 and x86_64 - just not perl that was causing you the problem.

Have a safe trip and we'll see what toracat has figured out by the time you return :-)

toracat
Site Admin

Post by toracat » 2008/07/28 12:24:32

Richard,

Thanks for all the notes. Yes, it is normal to have i386 packages on an x86_64 install if you have some i386 applications and if they require those packages. However, I (and others) are finding many i386 rpm's that are not needed at all just like your perl's case. I suspect this is due to yum's misbehavior and am looking into it.

Have a great trip.

jalal

Post by jalal » 2008/09/01 13:13:33

Just a quick note to say that I had the same problem as Richard, and the same solution has worked for me. Also, like him, I have no record in the yum.log that perl.i386 was ever installed there. So it's a mystery to me as well.

Thanks to all for taking the time to sort this out. Although it's not been a show stopper on my servers, it has been one of those mildly annoying things (like a broken fingernail) that distract me.