Want to remove X/Gnome completely

General support questions including new installations
fandingo

Post by fandingo » 2010/01/18 00:03:02

I'm installing CentOS from the netinstall in Virtualbox now. I was about to post a different thread because Anaconda kept crashing on me. Whenever I would try to uncheck Gnome, clicking next would always fail. I really don't want Gnome, but I need to get the VM installed, so I just accepted the default software selection. (It's not an iso problem either because I originally tried the DVD as well.)

I've been using Linux for several years, but I need to use a GUI-less server. I found some instructions on how to disable X by entering runlevel 3, but that's not what I want to do. Is there a meta-package that I can remove "yum remove" and it will remove all the GUI dependencies, or perhaps something like "yum groupremove"?

Thanks for the help.

milosb

Post by milosb » 2010/01/18 00:23:45

[quote]
Is there a meta-package that I can remove "yum remove" and it will remove all the GUI dependencies, or perhaps something like "yum groupremove"?
[/quote]
Well, you kinda answered the question yourself.
Exactly what you need is available with yum. Read [b]man yum[/b] and you'll find just that. Also [b]yum grouplist[/b] may prove to be helpful with this.

fandingo

Re: Want to remove X/Gnome completely

Post by fandingo » 2010/01/18 02:20:43

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know the name of the meta-package. Found it with yum grouplist, then [code]yum groupremove "X Window System"[/code]