Centos upgrade

General support questions including new installations
johnchristy

Centos upgrade

Post by johnchristy » 2014/03/23 04:07:21

Hello Guyz

First of all, I'm new to Linux with basic SSH knowledge, so any additional help would be much appreciated.

I'm using a Linux VPS

==
cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.10 (Final)
==

I know this is an outdated version. My VPS came with all necessary modules : PHP, exim, CSF, basically everything you need to run a webserver.

I've already deployed few websites like Prestashop, Magento and all working great. I need some basic guides on how can I update my centos to latest version **Without** affecting any of my current working website/system

I'm using cPanel/WHM

Thanks in advance

John

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Centos upgrade

Post by TrevorH » 2014/03/23 12:54:10

That's not an outdated version: the latest CentOS 5 is 5.10 plus a few updates which you can get by running `yum update` as root. CentOS 5 will receive security updates for about another 3 years so it still has some life left in it yet.

It's not possible to update to CentOS 6 without backup and restore.

However, since you have cpanel installed, that makes life more difficult since they exclude a large number of packages from CentOS control by placing exclude= lines in /etc/yum.conf and the various repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d and then compile their own versions of several major packages from source. This makes the system pretty much unmaintainable here since none of us know exactly what they do. It also means that you need to go to them for security updates for those packages that they exclude.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

johnchristy

Re: Centos upgrade

Post by johnchristy » 2014/03/23 13:19:44

Thank you for that information. I will keep my 5.10 for time being