General support questions including new installations
Positron

Package Cleanup Issue

Post by Positron » 2015/05/15 01:35:48

Hello,

When I run yum update, it throws:

Code: Select all

perl-XML-Simple-2.18-3.el4.rf.noarch from rpmforge has depsolving problems
  --> Missing Dependency: perl(XML::SAX) >= 0.15 is needed by package perl-XML-Simple-2.18-3.el4.rf.noarch (rpmforge)
Error: Missing Dependency: perl(XML::SAX) >= 0.15 is needed by package perl-XML-Simple-2.18-3.el4.rf.noarch (rpmforge)
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
                        package-cleanup --dupes
                        rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package.
I tried to run

package-cleanup --problems
It throws:

command not found.
How can I fix this issue?

Running CentOS 5.11

Cheers

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Package Cleanup Issue

Post by TrevorH » 2015/05/15 07:50:32

You don't install ancient RPM packages for CentOS 4 (el4) on CentOS 5. The package you are looking for is already supplied by CentOS base/updates repos in CentOS 5 so it should be as simple as running yum install perl-XML-Simple

If you really did need to run package-cleanup, the error from yum tells you "The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package." which is presumably not installed either.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Positron

Post by Positron » 2015/05/15 09:44:29

TrevorH wrote:You don't install ancient RPM packages for CentOS 4 (el4) on CentOS 5. The package you are looking for is already supplied by CentOS base/updates repos in CentOS 5 so it should be as simple as running yum install perl-XML-Simple

If you really did need to run package-cleanup, the error from yum tells you "The program package-cleanup is found in the yum-utils package." which is presumably not installed either.
Hello @TrevorH,

Thank you very much for your help.

This error did not happen previously. I just run "yum update" last week. Today when I tried to re-run "yum update", this error come up.

Actually I just wanted to run "yum update" to get recent updates. Do not know if I run yum install perl-XML-Simple individually breaks other packages or not? Should not this dependency error be fixed by "yum update" itself?

Cheers

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2015/05/15 10:46:29

If you have installed the rpmforge repo then you have installed the wrong version as it is picking up packages intended for CentOS 4. Remove rpmforge-release, run yum clean all then try again.

We no longer recommend use of rpmforge as it has had barely any updates in the last 3 years and many of its packages now have unfixed security vulnerabilities. Use EPEL instead if possible. The package you're trying to install is already provided by CentOS in CetnSO 5 anyway.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Positron

Post by Positron » 2015/05/15 13:43:50

TrevorH wrote:If you have installed the rpmforge repo then you have installed the wrong version as it is picking up packages intended for CentOS 4. Remove rpmforge-release, run yum clean all then try again.

We no longer recommend use of rpmforge as it has had barely any updates in the last 3 years and many of its packages now have unfixed security vulnerabilities. Use EPEL instead if possible. The package you're trying to install is already provided by CentOS in CetnSO 5 anyway.
Thank you very much @TrevorH.

After ;

yum remove rpmforge-release
yum clean all
yum update
everything works well.

Thanks again for your help and time.

Cheers